Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400M Opening 2 slices?

I am trying to monitor CW using CWskimmer on one slice and transmit SSB on another slice.

At this point I have the Maestro on a SSB freq and the desktop on another freq, however both are on VFO A

(2 receivers on the same VFO)

If I close the desktop only then am able to open slice B on the Maestro.

Is it possible to have slice A on the Maestro and slice B on the desktop?

Thank You

Larry

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Larry, I think it is just a naming thing. The two slices are on different machines, frequencies and modes but both are named slice A. Calling one A and one B doesn't change the operation, it is just confusing when referring to them.

I think another bit of confusion is that we tend to think of slices like VFOs, but they are actually fully functioning independent receivers that can be run simultaneously. They can both be run on the same machine (called slice A and B) or one on the computer and one the Maestro (both called slice A).

Len, KD0RC

• Larry
    Larry Member ✭✭

OK, that seems fair enough-- Thanks

So with only the Maestro on (no desktop) and opening Slicemaster, we are not able to open any digital mode

as I get this message at the bottom on slice master window.

I have selected the Dax IQ 1 for Skimmer or Dax 1 for Fldigi (on the maestro). No combination I have tried has be successful yet. (this is on both A and B slices)

So I guess the question is—Is digital operation only successful while using SmartSDR/desktop?

Regards,

Larry

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, pretty much. The digital software, wsjt etc, runs separately from SmartSDR. No way to load it onto the M model or maestro, they only control the radio functions.

• Larry
    Larry Member ✭✭

Thanks John---

Let me try to re-word my thinking----

I have the 6400M sitting in front of me on the desk. I want to use the maestro only for "regular radio operation". Can I open a instance of CW Skimmer (or any of the others) on the desktop and have it decode what the maestro sees?

Both A and B slice on the maestro has options to turn on DAX 1 or 2 in addition to IQ streams. Turning on DAX 1 on the maestro would make me think it's going to send audio out to "somewhere"

Thanks

Larry

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

I think no. When windows creates a com port, either real or virtual, it expects the data to appear at a connection on the same computer, either at a serial port or USB port. Flex creates “virtual” cables to connect the radio to other software on the same computer, but not across the network. Some networking guru may have a method for this, but not me.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

@Larry yes you can have DAX on a PC connect to the Maestro client. In DAX control panel at the top it says Station and the client DAX is currently connected to. Just seLect Maestro from the drop down.

Dave wo2x

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

I think part of your problem is you have an M model and the front panel is a client connected to the radio. Try shutting down the front panel SmartSDR client by taping MENU ->Radio and then tap SWITCH VERSION.

• Larry
    Larry Member ✭✭

Thank you for the replies---- I will try your suggestions and report back.

Again---- Thank You!

Larry

• snet0311
    snet0311 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Hi Guys,

i'm a bit confused. Own the 6400M and connected the SmartSDR Windows Software.

I can't open a second slice, neigher on the radio, nor in the software.

Can i disconnect the 6400M Frontpanel, to get full access in the software?

Thanks in advance,

Stefan - DF6VI (Rookie)
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Yes. On front of radio tap menu. On left tap radio. Tap Select Vrtsion. It will disconnect front panel client. The front panel will show the available versions. Then in SmartSDR you can open a second slice.

If you do not want the front panel to automatically start and connect, for the select version screen tap the gear icon in lower left corner. Tap Auto Connect so it is not highlighted.

Dave wo2x

• snet0311
    snet0311 Member ✭✭
    Got it. 👍 Thanks. Are there any „energy saving“ options so far? Turning of the display (would make really sense, by working 100% remotely) and backlit buttons?
    73‘

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.