Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 5000A Stopped Receiving

Options

My Flex 5000A with an external LDG ATU suddenly stopped receiving, it does show transmit power on the PowerSDR 2.7.2 waterfall. I checked the antenna, power and all the other connections and they look good.

Any help is appreciated it was my second radio and my favorite one, just recently I got a QSO on FT8 to South Africa from San Francisco Bay Area.

Comments

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried connecting the antenna directly to the radio? What are the symptoms thst lead you to think it's not receiving? Is it all modes, or just ft8?

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

• Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Options

VE7ATj_Don, I have connected the antenna directly to the input. I did hear a very weak voice QSO. There is no FT8 signals wwv etc visible on the waterfall, those signals were always the strongest on all bands. When I key up PTT I do see power spectrum on the waterfall. I have tried Antenna2 etc. I also verified if the antenna cable and antenna was open but it is good.

• Arvind Mallya
    Options

VE7ATj_Don, I have connected the antenna directly to the input. I did hear a very weak a voice QSO. There is no FT8 signals wwv etc visible on the waterfall. When I key up PTT I do see power spectrum on the waterfall. I have tried Antenna2 etc.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hmmm, i'm wondering if the rf gain setting might have changed? I don't have a 5000, so i can't be sure... does the 5000 have an agc-t control?

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And you DID connect to the "RX Input" port NOT a "Antenna Port" and select the "RX IN" port in the RX Antenna selection box correct?

This Port bypass's the TX Relay Antenna port board which is pretty cepcceptable to Static discharge, They use tiny service mount Solid state relays for the Antenna switch's and static will open these devices.

If this happens you will need to send it to FLEX for repair or find someone that has the proper equipment and works on small surface mount components.

When I had my 5000 I bought a extra Antenna Switch board and would swap out the board and send it off to get repaired because where I live here which is a VERY DRY high desert Static is really bad.

• Arvind Mallya
    Options

Yes I connected to RX Input and selected RX IN, nothing on the waterfall. You maybe right it could be a static discharge issue. Is the board easily removed. If so there are 4 plastic standoff, do they pop out and is the screws to open the cover under that? I also see screws in the front.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Problem is If you have very low RX at the BNC RX IN jack and it is NOT a normal signal strength then you have more issues then the Board I spoke about because this RX Jack is Before the TX/RX Board, For me the board was easy to change it is the board on the back of the radio that has the SO-239's on it , hardest thing was re-installing the little PIG NOSE coax cable jumper to the board.

The 5000 has a RX1 Loop in and out on the back of the radio that may be enabled in software and no loop is there you can check that in PowerSDR or put a BNC to BNC jumper between these two ports. http://kc.flexradio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50385.aspx These ports are to add a Pre-AMP or a Filter like a Broad cast filter in line with the Receiver.

I would do a HARD reset to the radio first as it may be out of sync with the Tuner or something and a reset may fix it.

It has been a long time since I sold my 5000's but remember it almost like it was yesterday.

• kb2men
    kb2men Member
    Options
    I've bumped the VAC1 button once. Took quite a while to 'see' the button wasn't highlighted...
  • Rich Stroman
    Options
    I'm looking to do a hard reset on my 5000a but my software does not show a 'Re-set' DB box just import and export DB ?
    low receive audio and have done factory defaults.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does it NOT have the "Factory Defaults" button under the setup button?

Never seen this button go away so not sure what version PowerSDR your running.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.