Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Setting XVTR power?

Bill -VA3WTB
Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

I am needing to set my XVTR port to so that my transverter will only TX 5w max. What is the way of puting that in the XVTR max power box is it 2.0 5.0 ? The transverter is still wanting to TX at 10w. I can run the RF slider down, but how can I safe guard this?

Answers

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

The max power setting in the XVTR dialog box is the output from the radio's transverter port not the transverter power output. The radio has no knowledge of what transverter you have connected.

You have to know the sensitivity of the transverter as well. The manufacturer will publish the sensitivity (or gain) of the transverter. Also the manufacturer will state the maximum input drive level and the corresponding output level.

For example will -10dBm from the transverter port drive the transverter to 10 watts?

So, you could, for example, set the XVTR port max power level to correspond to the maximum transverter input level and control the power level from the slider.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭

In my case the amp takes 5w max, I just wanted to make sure it won't go over that...

• J.C. W4QK
    J.C. W4QK Member ✭✭
    My transverter operating manual stated that the input power should normally be set to 1 mw/0 dBm (with a maximum of 14 mw) for 12 Watts out. I used a calibrated Wattmeter into a VHF dummy load to check the levels, and I found that setting the transverter Max Power on the Flex 6400M XVTR setting to -10 dBm drove the transverter output to 12 watts. I think you will have to experiment a little with the drive levels to get the output you want.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.