Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex-6500 to Flex-6600 Upgrade?

Options

I currently have a Flex-6500. If I upgrade to a Flex-6600 (non-M version), what practical benefits would I get?

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options

[Edit: replace obsolete with discontinued]

Well, besides the fact you will have a current instead of discontinued (although entirely functional) radio, you will get seventh order contest band filters and a second more competent SCU. If you do satellite, you get full duplex on two bands.

the 6600 can take in 14 MHz per SCU at its widest - I don’t think the 6500 can do that. I’m sure others will come up with more differences / improvements, although they are only meaningful to you if you need / want them :-)

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Both radios will do 14 MHZ per SCU. But the 6500 only has 1 SCU. The 6500 has a RX Ant Out and RX Ant In while the 6600 has two RX Ant In1 and RX Ant In2. I made this same switch albeit for the M model due to wanting the on radio controls and the ability to display on a separate monitor. I can't really detect any significant performance differences between the two. But I really like having the controls and not having to use the computer all the time to run the radio.

• Jerry Gardner
    Options

Is the "M" model implemented like the Maestro? In other words, does it use a Dell tablet inside the front panel to implement the touch screen?

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yup. I think the maestro s a better idea. The cost is about the same, M or maestro. The M models take up a lot of desk space to be able to access the controls. With a Maestro the big box can be remoted somewhere, under the desk, or in a closet, or just nearer the antenna connection and the maestro can be used elsewhere, like den or patio or even office. The maestro can also be used with the existing 6500.

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The "M" model and Maestro have the same controls with identical functionality. Whether or not they use the same Dell tablet inside is not obvious to the operator. I have both, with my Maestro being one of the original models that I originally used for my 6500. I find on my Maestro that the main tuning dial does not always exactly follow my turning of the knob. I was told this is caused by the encoder used for the knob. This issue does not occur with my "M" front panel or from what I understand on later models of the Maestro. Using Multi-Flex you can use both sets of controls for the radio at the same time. So, it is sort of like having two separate radios each with independent controls that share a transmitter. Almost all of the time, I use the "M" front panel and the HDMI connection to replicate the display on a 27" monitor. As John said the Maestro does offer the flexibility of remoting the radio or just moving your operating position around the house or even on the road using SmartLink.

• Jerry Gardner
    Options

I definitely don’t want a Maestro or any other means to remotely control the rig because going down to my ham shack is a way for me to escape the hustle and bustle upstairs and operating in the living room or at the dinner table would defeat that.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Guess I should qualify that a new M and a new Maestro use the same tablet. The older “version 1” maestro used a different tablet from the current version.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.