Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Experiences with At&t wireless internet connection

Does anyone have experience with At&t wireless internet connection and using Smartlink??
I live in a rural area and At&t has just occupied a tower close enough to provide good internet service.
Thanks for any input,
Dave - K9UK

Best Answer

Answers

• Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    Thanks Rick - Good to know before opting to use the service
  • kr4k
    kr4k Member ✭✭

We too live in a rural area, and we have no wired internet options. We tried Verizon, but Verizon is priced much too high for our data volume. We have the new AT&T Business data program, https://www.business.att.com/products/wireless-broadband.html We have the $200/mon, unlimited 50Mbps 5G/5G+/LTE Data plan. AT&T "may" throttle us at 125 GB/mon, but we have not seen that yet.

All AT&T wireless data plans put your router into an AT&T private address space. So actually, my radio is triple NAT inside my LAN - AT&T (10.x.x.x), my Sierra Wireless MP70 LTE gateway (192.168.x.x LAN), and my Ubiquiti Unifi security gateway (192.168.y.x LAN). I have ports 4993 (UDP) and 4994 (TCP) forwarded on both the LTE gateway and Ubiquiti gateway.

When I log into SmartSDR, SmarkLink sees my radio as available. On the SmartLink connection info, I see "Internet Connected: Yes", the AT&T Internet facing address 107.77.x.x, but the "port" shows "-1". The other radio information, such as version, is correct. However, when I try to connect, the small white panel flashes up and disappears. So I think this is the issue, and AT&T does not allow inbound connections.

I can use Splashtop to remote into my LAN computers, so I can use my Flex for FT-8. Unfortunately, Splashtop only streams outbound audio - so no microphone audio in.

Please let us all know if anyone is successful using the AT&T LTE data plan.

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

I use a Windows Surface 3 USB tethered to my Samsung 7 cell phone for mobile operations. I use ATT for the data. I just drove from Tucson to LA and back with very few problems. In fact, it worked surprisingly well. It only dropped out in understandable circumstances such a mountain pass or grouped among trucks under a bridge.

Bill AB7AA

• Lee, N2LC
    Lee, N2LC Member ✭✭

I tried to get that working here as well, with disappointing results similar to KR4K.

I once saw Howard/KY6LA comment that it will indeed work, but I don't have any details. I thought it might be the upgrade to business/static IP that would make it work, but Gus' setup appears to nix that idea too.

My speeds are dismal, but if it would connect, I'd pay more for something robuster.

Lee, N2LC

• Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    Thanks all for the comments -- I guess the answer is found in reviewing the at&t fixed wireless information and the restrictions they impose on this service. According to the information I found - Services like Web hosting or hosted services such as camera, gaming server, peer-to-peer, etc., that require static IP address are not supported by AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet.
    Dave - K9UK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.