Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WinLink /VARA Modem setup problems with Flex 6400

Greetings
Need some help with a Winlink/VARA modem setup on my Flex 6400.
I cannot seem to connect to WinLink Email Servers.
I know my transmitter is working and modulation is being heard on headphones
My latentcy control is turned all the way down.
I was able to connect on ONE occasion but never again after trying many different servers.
I must be missing something but don't know what.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advance
Tom WA2ANG

Comments

• W1WRA
    W1WRA Member ✭✭

Tom,

I do not recall changing any settings on this end, and my 6400/VARA setup worked out of the box. I am lucky enough to have a couple of very close by stations to test with, but I have also tested outside my local area.

What is the problem specifically? Are you just not 'making the connection' when you call out?

• tpetruzzellis
    tpetruzzellis Member ✭✭
    My Flex 6400 shows RF output to SWR meter and I can hear VARA modulation on monitor.
    I connected ONE time to an Winlink E-Mail server on 40 meters, but haven't been able to connect ever again!
    Is there a Flex reset, maybe some configuration got locked up?
    Any ideas?
    Tom
  • I am having a similar problem with me 6300. It does appear that I am connecting to the station and talking back and forth, after all said and done , no email is sent or received.

*** Radio-Only Vara Connection to N5TW @ 2020/10/26 22:19:10 USB Dial: 14108.500
    *** Station Bearing: 148, Range: 1929 km
    RMS Trimode 1.3.34.0 Welcome to the N5TW RMS Trimode.
    KF7SOJ-T has 1438 minutes remaining with N5TW
    {SFI = 074 On 2020-10-26 19:00 UTC}
    This is a radio network hub. Messages will forwarded to the recipient via HF radio.
    ;WL2K-Radio/Internet_Network
    [WL2K-3.1.4.0-B2FWIHJM$]
    ;PQ: 38209650
    N5TW RMS Relay >
    ;FW: KF7SOJ
    [RMS Express-1.5.32.0-B2FHM$]

;PR: 99112979
    ; N5TW DE KF7SOJ (DN55SV)
    FF
    FQ
    *** --- End of session at 2020/10/26 22:19:49 ---
    *** Messages sent: 0. Total bytes sent: 0, Time: 00:39, bytes/minute: 0
    *** Messages Received: 0. Total bytes received: 0, Total session time: 00:39, bytes/minute: 0
    *** Disconnected from Winlink RMS: N5TW @ 2020/10/26 22:19:59
    *** Session: 0.9 min; Avg Throughput: 0 Bytes/min; 1 Min Peak Throughput: 0 Bytes/min
  • W1WRA
    W1WRA Member ✭✭

Prariedog:

Your session looks fine other than you do not have email. Do you have messages in your outbox waiting to be sent?

I sent you a test email so you should have one next time you connect.

Here is what it looks like when I connect to a node, and do not have any email waiting (basically very simliar to your output)

*** Winlink Vara Connection to K1EHZ @ 2020/10/29 17:39:10 USB Dial: 7102.300

*** Station Bearing: 270, Range: 4 miles

RMS Trimode 1.3.34.0 Hillsborough County & Greater Manchester NH ARES Hybrid Gateway -- Supporting Packet & VARA FM on VHF, and Pactor, ARDOP, & VARA 4 on HF.

W1WRA has 90 minutes remaining with K1EHZ

{SFI = 088 on 2020-10-29 15:00 UTC}

[WL2K-5.0-B2FWIHJM$]

;PQ: 22212294

CMS via K1EHZ >

;FW: W1WRA

[RMS Express-1.5.32.0-B2FHM$]

;PR: 77577086

; K1EHZ DE W1WRA (FN42FX)

FF

FQ

*** --- End of session at 2020/10/29 17:39:33 ---

*** Messages sent: 0. Total bytes sent: 0, Time: 00:22, bytes/minute: 0

*** Messages Received: 0. Total bytes received: 0, Total session time: 00:22, bytes/minute: 0

*** Disconnected from Winlink RMS: K1EHZ @ 2020/10/29 17:39:42

*** Session: 0.5 min; Avg Throughput: 0 Bytes/min;  1 Min Peak Throughput: 0 Bytes/min

• W1WRA
    W1WRA Member ✭✭

@tpetruzzellis : Do you get any output like @Prairiedog , or do you get an output similar to this:

*** Calling K9KDJ

*** Failure connecting with K9KDJ

• John AD6NR
    John AD6NR Member ✭✭

I am having a similar problem. Occasionally I do connect with VARA, but most of the time when I try to connect with VARA I see an exchange several times - I RX - the RMS station responds - back and forth several times - then I send a CW ID and I get the message "Failure connecting to ..... If I switch to ARDOP I connect immediately and the message goes through. This has happened several times in the last week or so. I got a suggestion that it could be related to the transmit bandwidth. I'm checking that out.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.