Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6500 and ATU

Does anybody know if all of the 6500 came with a built-in ATU or where they options?

Comments

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭

I know the 6700 did, and I’m pretty sure the 6500 did also. I’m sure someone else will be able to confirm this for you.

GL and 73

Winston VK7WH

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

The ATU was an option on the 6500. As i understand it, the unit was the same one used in the 6700.

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭

The Specs – From the Flexradio Systems Website

FLEX-6500 Feature Highlights

• Maximum Slice Receivers:Four (4)
    • Maximum Panadapter Bandwidth: 14 MHz
    • Antenna Connectors:SO-239x2; BNCx1; XVTR-BNCx1
    • Wideband Frequency Coverage:30 kHz - 72 MHz
    • Transmit Frequency Coverage:160-6m amateur bands, 100W nominal output
    • Transverter IF Frequency Coverage*:100 kHz - 72 MHz
    • Digital Audio Exchange (DAX) Channels:Four (4)
    • DAX IQ Channels/Bandwidth per Channel (DAXIQ):Four (4) @ 24 kHz - 192 kHz
    • Preselectors:160 - 2m (except 60m)
    • Microphone Connectors: Unbalanced 8-pin Foster, Balanced XLR/TRS
    • Antenna Tuner Unit (ATU):Integrated
    • Full Continuous Coverage Transmit:MARS/CAP Capable

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭

The only issue with the ATU's when they updated the Operating Systems is they managed to **** up the tuning function of the ATU's and haven't been in a big hurry to FIX IT. So it can take endless button pushes to finally receive a useable SWR.

When using your antenna and you finally FIND the low limit of SWR you CAN GET. Write it down or remember it. So when the tuner decides that 1.7:1 or 2:1 or full scale is the best the thing will do, keep pushing the flippen button until it will get the good SWR. Most of us later version software users v2 and v3 have been using External Tuners....

You can take that info to the Bank Robert.

Erika DD

• Robert KB6QXM
    Robert KB6QXM Member ✭✭

@Erika - KØDD You show the 6500 feature set that shows that the ATU is integrated, but yet @VE7ATJ_Don states that it was an option. Is there a way to understand if the 6500 that I purchased has the built in ATU or not? Also the specs you show mentions 2 meters. I thought 2meters was specific to only the 6700.

• Robert KB6QXM
    Robert KB6QXM Member ✭✭

@Erika - KØDD Thank you for that information. Hopefully they will do a maintenance release soon to fix that BUG! I like information that I can take to the bank. I will use my external tuner as I do run an amplifier. I was told that I should buy a buffer amplifier to protect my Flex from my Ameritron AL-80B keying, so I have a new ARB-704 to protect my Flex when keying my amplifier, but that is a separate conversation.

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭

Bad data flying everywhere. I don't know what the preselector part on the 6500 is about, it only receives to 70 mhz... I just tuned up there LAST WEEK. I got that from another source as that is from back when the 6500 was listed as a product on the Flex Site..

I reviewed it and stopped when I got to the ATU and sent it.

The first thing you're going to learn about this site is not all information coming from the gallery is GOOD INFORMATION.

THE ATU IS INTEGRATED on the 6500, it is not a plug in module.

Unless your email blew up I JUST sent you the manual from the 6500 (6000 series hardware reference manual. The tuner discussion is on page 41 if I remember correctly.

I'm DONE on here. BYE

• Robert KB6QXM
    Robert KB6QXM Member ✭✭

Thank you for all of your assistance.

• Robert KB6QXM
    Robert KB6QXM Member ✭✭

According to the manual the ATU is a standard feature. My question has been answered. Thank you for the assistance Erika for pointing this out in the manual.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.