Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

The basics of SmartLink

Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@Dan Quigley, N7HQ and I just did a short video on the basics of SmartLink.

Comments

• Well done Mike and Dan. To those who have not used Smartlink sufficiently to realise its potential, this video hopefully will get the ideas flowing.

• howardsh3t
    howardsh3t Member ✭✭

Great session, can i get a copy of the slides?

Howard AE3T

• still trying to get maestro to work remotely screen says NO INTERNET but bottom left has the icon that I do tnx for any help

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Arnold,

I created a support ticket for you.

Mike

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭

Mike,

Sorry to bother you and others. I have always had a Satellite Internet Service (DirecTV then ViaSat) When initially setting up my flex 6700 with the early days of SmartLink I was able to get a successful test indication with the DirecTV Internet. Then I noticed when moving to ViaSat the SmartLink seemed to stop but I did not investigate it further as my Satellite Internet was not that fast so I really did not proceed to figure out "why?" I now have Starlink and the Internet is at a performance level that would support Remote Operation. However, I now go out to attempt to connect or test Smartlink and it still does not seem to connect. I have the correct Account and Password but again no success logging into and testing Smartlink. I have asked a fellow Flex Operator to log into SmartLink and my account and password are recognized but again no success. My Flex is on but he can not see my station. Any known issue between Smartlink and ViaSat now Starlink Satellite Systems? Could there be an IP Issue or something similar? I am asking you before I submit a Ticket. Thank you. Richard Griest - N4RWG

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Richard

For now, StarLink will not work with Flex SmartLink. There are no direct work arounds for using SmartLink.

Reason is, StarLink uses Carrier Grade NAT, so you do not have a unique public facing IP address, which is necessary for SmartLink to find you.

There are options, with StarLink, rather than Flex SmartLink. Depending on your conditions, results will vary.

• use a VPN that only needs one public facing IP address
    • use a screen share program, to view the screen of a computer on your local LAN, connected to your Flex.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike-VA3MW
  • widowsson_N6ATC
    widowsson_N6ATC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Starlink has recently been giving public IP addresses and even IPv6 addresses. Users who did not previously have public IPs have reported conversion to public. Some have also reported it changing back to CGNAT briefly, but I think most I've read (maybe even all) have said it switched back to public.
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭

Mike, a basic question.... does a person with NO Flex and no SmartSDR license simply download a copy of SmartSDR and log in to SmartLink with a provided username and password if they want to use a person's Flex remotely ? I have a neighbour who is considering a 6400 purchase and may want to "share" mine for a few weeks (after I get a new one ).

Andy K3UK

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Andy, You have it exactly right!

• Mike-VA3MW

@Andrew O'Brien Yes, that is correct.

Mike, a basic question.... does a person with NO Flex and no SmartSDR license simply download a copy of SmartSDR and log in to SmartLink with a provided username and password if they want to use a person's Flex remotely ? I have a neighbour who is considering a 6400 purchase and may want to "share" mine for a few weeks (after I get a new one ).

Andy K3U

• Andrew O'Brien

and , under USA FCC rules for control operators , the ham using my station from their remote location uses MY callsign ?

• KD0RC

Hi Andy, that is up to you. They can use your callsign (only with your permission), making you the control operator and responsible for their operation. For multi-operator contests, this is common.

For non-contest operations, you would probably want them to use their own callsign and be responsible for their own operation. In this scenario, they are the control operator.

• Andrew O'Brien

Thanks. I thought that would be the case. I am callsign trustee for the local club , so I will probably have my neighbour and club member, use the club callsign when he connects. Although, I may be putting him in touch with Mike VA3MW soon because he is now thinking seriously of a 6400.😀

Andy K3UK

• KD0RC

Hi Andy, as trustee, you will bear some responsibility for club station use, regardless of which callsign is being used.

You want to be sure that you have reasonable safeguards in place to prevent unauthorized access, but I don't know what that entails from a legal perspective.

There is sooo much misinformation about this aspect of amateur radio operation that I would contact the ARRL to get some guidance.

• Andrew O'Brien
    edited May 2022

So far I have provided log in username and password to two trusted neighbour hams. Both with good computer experience. The first neighbour to attempt logged in first try and had a good tour of the 6400 with SmartSDR. The next day the second Neighbour tried with NO success. When he boots up SmartSDR (latest version) , he gets CAT, DAX and SSDR botted and he clicks on SmartSDR. He then gets a login screen that appears different to what I get when I am trying. He gets a SmartLink Login screen with places to enter username and password that I provided. to him. On that screen there is an option to Login or Sign Up. He chooses LOG In. Then he gets what looks like my Smartlink account's set up screen, Account Settings with first name last name and callsign and options to save or log out. It looks to me that he clicked on SET UP SMART LINK somewhere but he said he did not, "I just clicked on log in". ANy idea where he went wrong. He has tried several times.

Andy K3UK

• Mike-VA3MW

@Andrew O'Brien

Can you provide a screen shot of what he sees that is different? We want to make sure he is looking at the correct thing.

Is he on a PC or MAC?

This video might help him out. Or/and you could do a screen share with him just to see what he is doing. New users struggle a bit if they haven't used it before.

• Andrew O'Brien

False alarm, error in username.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.