Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Opinion-Pros and Cons and comparisons of legacy Flex radios to 6XXX Flex radios

Flex Community

I would like to ask if anyone had or still has a 1500/3000/5000a (all flavors) and if you are now an owner of a 6XXX series radio. What do you like and dislike between the two generations? The Pros and Cons of PowerSDR versus SmartSDR.

Overall experience of between the generation of the products. I will be doing a side-by-side comparison myself, but I would like to hear other Flex users experiences and opinions.

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

SmartSDR with Flex 6700 vs PowerSDR with Flex 5000a

SmartSDR/6700 Pros - No Firewire, now Ethernet. Direct sampling receiver. Included CAT and DAX make interfacing to other programs and hardware easy. SmartLink for remote access. MultiLink for having two clients connected to the radio simultaneously. Connection from SmartSDR, Maestro, iPhone/iPad, Mac.

Flex 5000 Pros - Can do VHF/UHF internally (if you can find the module anyplace). KE9NS software has some nice features.

The 6000 series has a LOT more Pros than the 5000a but it depends on your budget and operating preference. Computers with Firewire are getting scarce plus you need a Firewire interface with the TI chipset.

Dave wo2x

• Robert KB6QXM
    Robert KB6QXM Member ✭✭

@David Decoons, wo2x I agree with you on the advantages/pros of the 6XXX. The only con of the 6XXX that you listed was that the radio will not do VHF/UHF as the 5000a V/U did. I agree with that. Are there some features in the KE9NS PowerSDR that is not in SmartSDR that you would like to see? Any other con of the 6XXX over the previous generation of radios from Flex?

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I would like to see an S meter that is a part of SSDR. I'm probably not the only one that would like to see that. No opinion on PowerSDR or the 5000 as I have never operated one.

Ed KA9EES

• Robert KB6QXM
    Robert KB6QXM Member ✭✭

@ka9ees If I am not mistaken there is a 3rd party application that will provide an S meter.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Hi Ed, What kind of different S meter where you looking for then the one just under the Frequency display on the Slice your using?

With a external S meter you would only get the S meter for the first slice but what about the other slices?

The way FLEX does it is there is a S Meter for every slice you have open.

FRStack has the capability to see the S meter and I'm sure there are others but I just use the one on the main panel.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@WX7Y I’m an old ****. I’d like to see an S-meter that looks like an S-meter.

@Robert KB6QXM I have seen those. The They’re “OK”. I’d like to see a swinging needle VU type meter incorporated into the FRS software. I’ll take a look at FRStack. I have it downloaded to my win7 machine. I just haven’t installed it. I kind of doubt it will run on this iPad. Which is okay.

Ed KA9EES

• Robert KB6QXM
    Robert KB6QXM Member ✭✭

@ke9ees @wx7y I took a look at the S meter of FRstack and unfortunately the type of S meter is not what I want. I like the old-fashioned VU swinging needle. Maybe a request to the coder and maybe he will make that available in a future release.

Unfortunately Wood Radio is out of business.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Robert KB6QXM Me too. I was underwhelmed.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.