Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Node-Red using Auth0

Options

Hi,

I have the development of our club's station ready to go. I am looking for advice on how to implement Auth0 with Node-Red. Currently we use Apache2 with ssl. I realized we do the entire site with Node - Red and we want to do away with Apache2. I downloaded the node-red-contrib-http-auth0 pallet and installed it and also have a Auth0 account but I am hoping some one can advise on how to set this up...

Thanks for any advice,

Mick

Comments

• Mick  W8BE
    Mick W8BE Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok so by the lack of any response I think it is safe to assume I am in uncharted territory. I gave up on Auth0 for the moment but did implement this node-red flow:

node-red-contrib-users 

It took me awhile to figure it out. Here is the flow:

The biggest headache was getting past the /demo from the initial flow. I found out I had to edit the following file:

/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-users/app/login.html

This allows me to redirect logins to the ui

Mick

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mick

My reading of the Node-Red config setup instructions was the credential setup only worked for the editor. The Dashboard was not included in the credentials. Did you find this to be the case? Good news if the credentials do include the Dashboard.

Can you point us to the example you found? And a copy of your .json file.

Alan

• Mick  W8BE
    Mick W8BE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Options

Alan,

I think you may be confusing the default node red security in settings.js with the node-red-contrib-users flow..Here is the url

https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-users#:~:text=Create%20the%20allowed%20users%20list,their%20username%20in%20the%20list.

This module does not have any affect on the editor. You must still secure it the default way in settings.js. What this module does is examine a request to /users. So in my case for testing i am using my ipaddress:/users (i.e= 10.1.2.3:1880/users). Once there you have a login screen that authenticates you.

In the flow you go to the ui panel and create each user's login....

once you do that anyone who can authenticate can be redirected to /ui . The file to edit is

/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-users/app/login.html. In this section you will add /ui:

$.post('./', cred).done(function () {

showResponse("Login success! Redirecting...", "success");

setTimeout(function () {

var returnUrl = getParameterByName('return');

if (returnUrl) {

window.location = returnUrl;

} else {

window.location = "/ui";

This just does the basic authentication. The way I hope I see it working is when you go to https//domain it will point to /users. There you will see the login and can authenticate. That's the plan at this point. I will let you know how this works out.

Mick

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.