Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TX Band settings

Options

What are these setting for and how do they relate to the profiles we make?

Comments

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    Options

Transmit Audio Bandwidth – generally most HF transmission take the standard rule of thumb to stay within a 3khz bandwidth.  So for the new hams this means your audio fidelity would be from 0 to 3000 hz, or that of a typical phone call. Plenty good for voice communications, obviously not CD quality. AM broadcast transmission can go up to 10khz, but are typically in the 4 to 8khz range depending on the station.  FM goes all the way up to 15khz typically and thus sounds even better.What I’ve noticed is that most rigs default to about 2.7khz bandwidth on transmit. Nothing wrong with that but if 3khz is allowed and accepted why not maximize it for improved sound quality. Looking at my waterfall the vast majority of what I see these days is 3khz wide. Some rigs even allow Extended transmit bandwidths, and we call that ESSB. ESSB is for those transmissions exceeding 3khz up to 4 or 5khz. I’ve seen higher, but honestly doing so wastes precious frequency spectrum for others to use. If the band has little activity then it’s more acceptable but I would never recommend exceeding 3khz during crowded areas or contests. And for the record, I’ve had many QSO’s at 4khz wide, but the band was underutilized and I made an effort to not bleed into any nearby signals.Tradeoffs of wider transmit bandwidths. For one thing with a wider bandwidth, your transmitter is using the same power limits to energize a wider area of RF signal. This means if you are trying to work a weak station, they may have more difficulty hearing you. By reducing the bandwidth back down to 2.7 or 2.1 khz that 100 watts out of your rig will concentrate more of its energy to the signal you transmit. Take note too, that reducing the low frequency transmit bandwidth is just as important. If you have the ability to cut audio frequencies below 300hz this will reduce the low frequencies in your voice having to be transmitted wasting energy that’s not necessary to be understood . You might sound tinny but your transmitter will use all of its available power to generate a signal and concentrate that energy where it’s most needed to be heard. So if you want to get through a pile up or a marginal signal or in an emergency then reduce the bandwidth to make the contact.But when you’re not in contest mode, then enjoy the better sound quality of a wider bandwidth and open it up to 3khz, just be considerate of others if your experimenting with ESSB beyond 3khz.

The original Sleepy =JOE C

😂Come on Man😂

😂That Thing that Thing you know😂

• DonE
    DonE Member ✭✭
    Options

This does not relate to my question . The TX band setting i was asking about is found under the settings drop down menu. Sorry for the confusion.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Don, those settings set max RF power, Tune power and what jacks on the back are active when the PTT or key is activated. The PTT Inhibit prevents you from keying the radio on any bands that have it checked. So if you had an amplifier with a PTT input, you could check RCA TX1, then plug an RCA cable from the TX1 jack to the PTT input of your amp. Now anytime PTT is asserted (including tune and key closure), you will also key the amp. The last column is for hardware ALC in case you have an amp that really needs it.

I hope that helps.

Len, KD0RC

• DonE
    DonE Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Len

• RogerG
    RogerG Member ✭✭
    Options
    What is GEN on the TX Band Setting ? Have looked on manual but cannot find any reference.
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

GEN is for the GENeral radio receiver -- basically lets you tune anywhere in the 300Khz (?) to 50 Mhz range of the SCU. Your TURF file will likely prevent you from transmitting anywhere outside of the ham bands tho...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.