Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is Remote Operation from UK to USA viable?

Hi, I plan to spend 3-4 months in the UK and was interested to hear if anyone has worked remote from the UK to a 6400 in Arizona? Not sure how fast the internet connection will be in the UK etc, but does anyone have any experience of successfully working remote when so far away from the radio?

Thanks
Scotsman

Comments

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭

I have done it from London to VE6 and VE7 a number of times. Mind you I have good internet at both ends. I know some areas of the UK suffer from not having high speed internet, but it would be no different if you were in a spotty location in the US.

Tim VE6SH (G4HUA)

• Scotsman, Yes, its viable, and often done. If you have a choice of internet providers, try to find one with lowest latency (ping time) to keep the total delay down. Use a tool like speedtest.net

I operate from San Francisco to Tacoma, WA and have a Ping of 33 ms, its hardly noticed compared to being in the shack.

I have operated from San Francisco to Croatia (on RemoteHamRadio.com) and the Ping of 160ms is noticeable, but not making it impossible.

Have fun,

Mark K6UFO

• Scotsman
    Scotsman Member
    Thanks for the inputs, I'll give it a try!
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭

Very viable. Have run remote from KL7 to W3, and multiple times at far flung airports, cafes, and even airliners. As always, the connection quality determines your success.

Enjoy!!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.