Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Linear or Switcher

I have the ability to use one of two supplies for my "new to me" Flex 6500. One is a 50A linear supply and the other is a 50A switcher power supply.

Has anyone noticed that there are some noise that is seen in the Flex by the switching supply?

As I have both options, I would like to hear any previous experience with using a switcher and a Flex 6500 or if I should just default to the Linear supply.

Answers

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭

The noise level from a switcher entirely depends on the switcher. Some can be fairly quiet. Some put out more noise than a local thunderstorm. If the power supply is putting out noise, the Flex WILL hear it.

IMHO, unless you have a problem with the weight or cost, it is always preferable to use a linear power supply.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

What the Old Guy said.

Ed KA9EES

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

If it’s not too much trouble, run A-B comparison on the two. If the switching supply is making noise, it’s usually not wide-band, but spikes across the freq range, and visible on the pan display.

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭

I've used both types with my 6500. I decided I didn't want the huge bulk and mass of an Astron 50 and it's inefficiency. I have a couple of compact 20A switchers that both do the job without much ham band interference. Currently using a Yaesu model. The birdies are there if you hunt for them, but there's plenty of worse stuff on HF at my QTH.

73 Martin AA6E

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.