Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL timeout

Options

I have noticed on several occasions that my PGXL gives me a 30 second then 15 sec warning that it will stop transmitting. I just have to rekey the mic to make it "reset" If I am operating remotely on an iphone or ipad with the app, I don't get the warning and when I've gotten a little long winded I've had the radio stop transmitting. Im not sure if the warning is coming from the PGXL or the 6700? I've looked in the manuals for an explanation but didn't see any explanations (maybe I didn't look hard enough). I'm sure there is a simple explanation but I haven't found it yet. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Jim NX3Z

Comments

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@James,

Look in the SSDR menu for Radio Settings and in the popup box that appears look in the upper right hand corner (under TX Delay) and see if you have Timeout populated with some value other than 0.

Regards, Larry K1UO

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    Options

I also for the 1st time this week got that message. I feel it is coming from the amp but also can’t find any documentation in the pgxl manual. It seems to me this might have been included in the latest update.

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I've talked to them about it many months ago. It is hard set at 5 minutes and can not be software selectable. Get used to no long winded QSO's or QST's.

Bill AB7AA

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I should have mentioned that it only takes a momentary release of the PTT and the PGXL is ready to go again. No required rest time. So plan your long transmissions to have momentary pauses every so often.

Bill AB7AA

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    Options

I am sure mine trigger way before 5 min I was in an ssb qso and got the notice. If it happens again I will make some notes or just test the amp by keying the ptt and time it. Won’t have to put any power out into a dummy load.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi

There is a hard 5 minute timer on the PGXL as a fail safe to protect the amp from events that might drive it this long.

I have asked that this gets published in the next update to PGXL Manual.

Mike va3mw

• Ian
    Ian Member ✭✭
    Options
    Is there any time setting to move the amp from operate mode (when not being used) to standby ... I often leave the shack and forget to put it on stand by mode

Ian VE3JI
  • Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    Options

I just bought the PGXL amp. I have not seen any reference to this timer. I use the AM mode often and make transmissions between 5 -10 minutes often so this does not make me happy. I have seen other posts from guys using the amp in AM mode running a 200W carrier and they say there are no problems with over heating. I would think the amp should handle a 200W carrier easily. Can the user set the time out to a higher value??

Thanks... Harry...W0LS

• Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
    Options

Followup...I talked to someone at Flex yesterday to clarify whether a 5 minute timer exists in the PGXL. Their response was there is code in the firmware to implement this but it is not enabled.

Harry....W0LS

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

When I posted my comment, I was sending RTTY images and the PGXL shut down at 5 minutes.

Now, 2 years later that might have been changed, but I can ask.

You can't really 'overheat' the amp as it will keep you honest by applying the required cooling. If it exceeds about 90C it will protect itself.

There are 2 separate discussions in this thread.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.