Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Dax Dropping Connection with External Applications

RFord
RFord Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in DAX

I just purchased a new Dell XPS Desktop computer...Intel Core i7 10700 @ 2.90GHz with 32.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1463MHz RAM. I have just completed a fresh install of SmartSDR version 3.1.12.

I'm having an issue with DAX stopping after a period of time...the time varies when it decides to stop sending data to external applications.  I have completely uninstall SmartSDR and reinstalled SmartSDR along with resetting the Flex 6500. This did not help with the DAX disconnects. I have changed all the power saving setting to get maximum performance from the computer...it does not sleep, hard drive is on all the time and I do not use a screen saver.

To get DAX working again I close DAX and start it again...at that point is starts working again.

I have my old computer (Dell XPS Desktop Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz with 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz. This computer is working fine...it has the same version of SmartSDR software and I do not experience any DAX drop outs...always a very solid performance.

I plan to open a support ticket on this issue and I have checked the site for others with the same issue. I would hoping someone has found a work around to resolve this issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ronald

Comments

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

Ethernet or wi-fi connection?

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭

Ethernet connection...

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

Have you saved your profiles and hard-booted the Flex? Which model are you running?

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

Same version of Windows? Could RFI be getting into the new desktop? Is it just on some bands\frequencies? Is the PC bonded to the Flex?

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

I'm running a Flex 6500...all profiles are saved. The window versions are the same. I would not think this is an RF issue...since I'm not transmitting during the time I start DAX and when it stops working. Flex has been hard-booted.

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

I'm quickly running out of ideas. I'm glad you started a ticket. I did notice that there are some other threads with same issue. You may want to Google them. I noticed one about reinstalling Flex VSP.

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭

I completed a support ticket and this was the reply from Tim at Flex Radio...I decided to post the response here to provide additional information for anyone having DAX disconnects issues.

"This problem is due to DAX buffer corruption that is caused by long-duration deferred procedure calls (DPCs). DPCs are not related to the speed of the PC, the amount of RAM, the type of processor, or how old or new it is. It has to do with how the PC's motherboard was engineered and how the hardware peripherals and the drivers they use interact with Windows.. For more information on DPCs, please refer to this HelpDesk article: What are DPCs and why do they matter?

We are working on a new DAX driver that we hope is less susceptible to audio buffer corruption from long-duration DPC events. However, it is still in development and I do not have an ETA as to when this new DAX driver would be available nor have I tested it yet to characterize its robustness in the event of experiencing a long duration DPC event. 

In the article I referenced above, the only way to attempt to mitigate the long duration DPCs is to update the PC's hardware drivers and BIOS, but this is not a surefire fix". 

I have decided to send my new Dell XPS Desktop back to Dell...I will continue to use my old machine.

Ronald

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

Wow. Never heard of any of that before. Thanks for sharing!!

73 and stay well,

Bob, WK2Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.