Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Auto antenna switch

Mauro HB9FBG
Mauro HB9FBG Member ✭✭

Hi everyone.

I have a pole with a three elements (10/15/20) on it with two other dipoles 160 and 80m.

Now I have a manual antenna switch that I command from the station but I would like to replace it with an automatic switch antenna. I have seen that of 4O3A but it manages a maximum SWR of 1.5: 1. Unfortunately for the dipoles on the low bands it is relatively too little and I would need something more powerful on the SWR.

Have you tried something different?

73s Mauro HB9FBG

Comments

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

I looked up the specs on the 8 x 2 switch that I have as I felt the 1.5:1 max SWR seemed odd. See spec below:

→ 3,000 Watts ICAS (SSB/CW) for 5 minutes @ 1.5:1 VSWR @ 30 MHz

→ 3,000 Watts ICAS (SSB/CW) for 3 minutes @ 1.5:1 VSWR @ 50 MHz

I have used my 8 x 2 Antenna Genius mostly with beams including a SteppIR so SWR has not been an issue but when playing with wire both dipoles and a full wave 160m loop, I use a tuner when playing on 160m thru 6m with this antenna. First off I do not talk anywhere near 5 minutes at a time, LOL. Secondly the tuner bring the match quite reasonable so in summary this switch is quite automatic and was a great addition to my station. The only downside is we are still waiting for the ability to manually control this switch within SmartSDR and/or via the Maestro.

• Thanks Mike for your opinion.

Yes I have seen what you are talking about but SWR 1.5: 1 for my shortened dipoles for 160m and 80m are really limited and the 3KW limit is beyond my logical sense.

I will have a 1.5KW Expert which I will use with the legal limit of 1KW. I have contacted Expert and it seems that towards the end of the year they will have something suitable (not available now due to material / Covid issues) and I will probably evaluate theirs.

Anyway thanks for your reflection, good QSOs.

73 HB9FBG - 6400, Maestro.... QRZ.com

• DM5HF
    DM5HF Member ✭✭

Hi Mauro,

I really can recommend the switch PANT8 from Alfa Spid Poland. It is well made and can handle 1k without any issues till SWR 5. For that works really good and I do operate 2 switches remote. Some further information I have posted here:

http://dm5hf-chris.blogspot.com/2020/08/alfa-spid-antennenschalter-pant8.html

73 Chris

DM5HF

• Hi Chris,

thanks for the interesting information.

I've seen your page and the producer's page.

I rate it.

Best regards

73s Mauro HB9FBG

• KB7FD
    KB7FD Member
    I keep the antenna coupling within spec for a 4o3a 8x2 using an LDG RT600. The station is a K3s>KAT500 with the 12vdc bias for the remote tuner between the 8x2 and a Buckmaster OCD. The 8x2 also feeds a Flex 6700.

73, Buzz
    KB7FD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.