Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Way to measure latency and some measurements

My Flex suffers from excessive latency from all but one computer and I am trying to figure out why.

There are many ways to measure the latency. An easy one is by changing the bandwidth and estimating the time it takes the radio to do it. Here are some measurements with Flex6600, all measured local.

Local Maestro either via wifi, Ethernet or direct to the Flex. Almost a second.

Old Dell desktop I5/32 Gb RAM. Less than 0.1 s. Same for Ethernet and WIFi.

Surface 5 with I5/8Gb. About 0.5 s. Same for Ethernet and WIFi.

New Intel NUC I7/32Gb. About 0.5 s when connected via Ethernet.

The last number comes as a shock. What is special in an old Dell that the latency is low? What makes latency in NUC I7 high?

Ignacy NO9E

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

What type of latency are you referring to? How are you measuring it?

• Ignacy
    Ignacy Member ✭✭
    "change the bandwidth in SmartSDR and estimate the time it takes the radio to do it"

E.g., change BW from 400 Hz to 800 Hz and listen when change takes time.

This measurement is similar to audio delay of Flex compared to an analog radio but simpler.
  • Tonno Vahk
    Tonno Vahk Member ✭✭

That is interesting. You found a Windows device with no delay! Maestro is hopeless, true, but all Windows devices I have tried have also always shown long delays.

Do you have the same version of SmartSDR running on all computers?

What are the Windows versions on all computers?

What may be the other differences between those computers?

73 ES5TV

• Ignacy
    Ignacy Member ✭✭

I have no idea what is is going on. All computers use current version of Windows 10. I will try DogSDR on the Mac.

The problem may be in the implementation. For instance, at one time hotkeys switching antennas in Green Heron software stopped working and settings in FRStack could no longer be updated. Both use .NET programming. I never had a problem with hotkeys or setup in N1MM+ that may be using a traditional programming.

My example shows that some computers are OK and some not, for cryptic reasons. Similarly, some Maestros work fine and some not. For cryptic reasons.

Ignacy NO9E

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.