Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DogPark MacDoppler Node-Red Interface

Alan
Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in Third-Party Software

I use my Flex 6600 and Q5 Transverter for Satellites. Node-Red for station controls, including antenna and pre-amp switching. The Windows based Satellite tracking software of choice has been SatPC32. I also use FlexSatPC to gain more functionality from my Smart SDR interface.

I now want to give DogPark MacDoppler a try, but as most know, it will not interface with the Flex Server. I know it will interface through DogPark Smart SDR, but I want to be able to use other clients, such as my Maestro.

So.....I built a Node-Red / piFRStack interface between MacDopper and my Flex 6600 server running Multiplex. My interface uses the up/down frequency and modes from MacDoppler to give full doppler correction capability to the Flex Client. Node-Red will identify the TX and RX slice, from the "bound" client (for multiplex, two client operations) and assign the down frequency and up frequency accordingly, along with the required operating mode for each. I also use the Azimuth and Elevation information from MacDoppler to drive my PST Rotor, interfaced using Node-Red. Node-Red will disconnect with PST Rotor after 15 minutes, so I do not track every satellite around the clock and ware out my rotor.

My next project is to add "spots" to my Maestro showing Satellite Name, Elevation and Azimuth.

Below is a screenshot of my "Mac" based Satellite station. MacDoppler in the upper left, Interface on the upper right, and station controls along the bottom. I am using my Maestro as the Flex Client.

Now, to spend some time learning to use MacDoppler.

I will publish details on the Node-Red users forum:

(Note - Mike and or Dave, is this still the go to forum for Node-Red, or are we moving to the Flex Community?)

Alan. WA9WUD

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

We are still using the groups.io Nodered-hamradio group. It is open to all hams, not just Flex users. It has been quiet there. I've been busy with outdoor activities, enjoying the weather but I will get back to things with Node Red soon.

I have a project with the 4O3A 2x8 Antenna Genius that I want to work on. Pretty much have port A follow the radio band info, choosing the right antenna for the selected band and port B select one of the two remaining antennas for each band to go to a TimeWave ANC-4 noise canceller unit. I have the basic code done and just need to add the programming for mapping to the flow.

Dave wo2x

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭

great project...

i am nubee to node red ( aka havent even tried it)

i do have flex 6600m and macdoppler ( where i manual crank the freq...old school style)

where on node red io.group can i find your project and any related info.

thanks

Paul K3SF

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

The following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the nodered-hamradio@groups.io group.

You will need all of these Flows and FRStack for the MacDoppler to Flex / PST AZ EL rotor to function.

Dave, WO2X, has published a set of instructions, on the same site, for installing FRStack on your Raspberry Pi.

Alan. WA9WUD

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭

thanks alan

now have a focus set of material i can review

and

try out too

paul k3sf

• g4dpz
    g4dpz Member
    Thank you Alan, I will take a look at the group

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.