Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW setup Newbie to 6400.

Just got the 6400. i do not find documentation on how to setup the CW - Iambic keyer direct to the radio for the 6400. Especially CANNOT get sidetone.
I have the key plugged into the back of the radio, turned on Breakin and Iambic plus Sidetone are active. I am generating RF but no sidetone. PC Audio is active.
The user manual talks about the 6400M. I am missing something!!
Thanks a ton, John KØFUZ

Best Answer

Answers

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

John:

Down load a copy of the SSDR Software Users Manual from the Flex site.

1) Under " settings" drop down menu Click on the "Phone/CW" tab. Select "Iambic" it should display "Enabled" and then select "A" or "B" .

2) Sidetone. Select the CW mode, then on the SSDR control panel click on the "P/CW " Pane. Click on the "Sidetone Radio button" it should turn Blue. The sidetone volume control slider is to the left. The speed and delay slides are on this pane.

Also on the "P/CW" pane select "Iambic" button, it should turn blue

This should get close to working.

Gayle K0FLY

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

First, I would suggest downloading the "SmartSDR Software User Guide" for the version of SmartSDR that you are running, which for a new radio will be version 3. It does have complete setup instructions for all modes.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the CW sidetone audio is not conveyed through to PC audio... Try connecting powered PC speakers to the radio, or plug in headphones to see what happens.

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Here is a link to the User guides, SSDR version 3 is the first item.

Hi Craig , glad the Derecho winds missed you. Coffee break over back to the chain saw.

Gayle K0FLY

• KØFUZ
    KØFUZ Member ✭✭
    Thanks Craig and Gayle for being my virtual Elmer. I now have it working. I have download the manual and now I will dedicate time to RTFM ! I assume that if I just want to practice sending code without actually transmitting then I set the RF pwr to 0?
    Thanks again for the help you are preserving my sanity.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

Actually, just do not engage the "Breakin" button. If that button is gray, you will be able to hear the sidetone for practicing or checking your speed or whatever, but the radio will not transmit. Engage "Breakin" and what you send will be transmitted.

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

Hi John, welcome to the family.

Maybe in the future you'll discover some glitches with CW sidetone from SmartSDR, you want probably read this topic:

https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/comment/20579104

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi John, glad you got things working. One thing to note: Craig is correct, just turn breakin off and you can practice with your paddles or straight key without putting a signal out over the air. HOWEVER, if you hit an F key (F1 - F12), regardless of the setting of the breakin control, you will send live CW over the air. It will send whatever is in that CW memory (select CWX, Setup to see the contents of the memories). For that reason, if you want to hear CW from the memories without actually transmitting, you can set RF Power to zero.

Len, KD0RC

• KØFUZ
    KØFUZ Member ✭✭

thanks Len, lots to learn and experiment with.

do most CW operators use a real Winkeyer with the Flex or the virtual unit? I have never used WinKeyer before.

Thanks,

John KØFUZ

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

I use a real WinKeyer for contest use with N1MM+, and a CMOS-4 keyer from Idiom Press as my paddle-operated keyer. I tried the built-in WinKeyer and didn't like it, but don't remember why now... I have heard of folks having problems with the built-in keyer with N1MM+ in certain scenarios. It has been an ongoing topic on the N1MM+ reflector.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi John, I have no idea what most Flex CW ops do... I am mostly a casual operator, so I just use the built in Flex keyer on my 6400 (i.e. paddles plugged in to the back of the radio). I have done a little remote experimentation, but not with CW, so I am not a good resource for that aspect. Mike, VA3MW has done extensive remote operations and is one of the foremost experts on how (and why) to set up a remote Flex station. I would say that if you are not looking to operate remote CW, give the Flex internal keyer a try. If it is not to your liking, then expand to other keyers based on whatever you don't like about the internal unit.

Len, KD0RC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.