Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is their a computer program that works well for CW with 6000 series radios?

What CW software is out their?
Tagged:

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

For decoding nothing beats the human brain, especially if an operator has a sloppy fist.

Probably the best decoding software is CW Skimmer. Use that with SDR Bridge or Slice Master and you'll be set. Plenty of info on the Internet on how to configure it.

Dave wo2x

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I also like CWSkimmer. I use it with Slice Master. I will say that Skimmer takes some compute power. I recommend getting the trial version first to be sure that your computer is up to the task before you buy it.

Len, KD0RC

• For just decoding I use CWGet or fldigi. I run them both at the same time. Between the two of them they do a pretty good job.

roger

na4rr

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭

The advice above for decoding is spot on. Learn the code, practice use the programs as backups when needed.

For sending, I have to recommend FRLogger. As the author and a CW freak I worked **** the CW panel. It does things that CWX cannot do. It's free. Even if you don't use the logging or any other features the CW panel will make you happy if you want to send via keyboard.

Mark - WS7M

• Andy Holman
    Andy Holman Member ✭✭

I mostly listen, but I do run cw skimmer as well to catch things because my brain doesn't work how it used to. To me it has the best decoding of them all and it helps you find people on the band. There are plenty of people who will QRS for ya as well.

• CWSkimmer and Slicemaster are the solution that works here. Skimmer uses a lot of computer resources. Skimmer' decoding capability drops off as signals weaken. 20 word per minute capability is the absolute minimum necessary to work DX. 25 to 30 wpm is the speed of much of CW DXing. Achieving those speeds requires a very significant investment in time. It's an accomplishment worthy of respect. But time spent learning CW is time lost to exploring all the rest ham radio has to offer. To work CW for DX all you really need to know is your call. When you hear your call, the DX is asking you for a contact. Hit your exchange macro and you're in the log. This attitude about CW is just this ham's opinion and not an effort to start any arguments with the CW enabled, all of whom have my respect.

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

CWSkimmer was great, but I was only able to get it to run for a few weeks. Now when I start it either nothing happens, or it starts but I can't find anyway to get it to decode. I've tried running it through SDR-Bridge and Slicemaster. When it did run, weeks back, it would quickly run out out of decoders. I have a few more things to try but it has been the most frustrating program I have ever wanted to run.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.