Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What external tuners are you using with your Flex?

After having some problems with my Elecraft KAT500 auto-tuner I am reconsidering getting something else like maybe an LDG AT-1000 Pro II. I am curious what other tuners Flex owners may be using with a Flex and an amp.

Comments

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭

Palstar HF-Auto.

• Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭

+1 for the Palstar HF-Auto. It just works, I never even have to think about it. I operate remote (even just from another part of the house) a bit, still works great.

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭

LDG AT-1000Pro. Great tuner.

• EBSDallas
    EBSDallas Member ✭✭

I’ll second the HF-Auto. Mine has worked flawlessly with my 6500 and my 6600. Most of my antennas are below 2:1 across most if not all of the band and it takes care of the edges. My 80m inverted “V” and my 160m inverted “L” are different stories and it matches the both.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

I have a LDG AT-1000 Pro II, FWIW I am happy with it.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Phil, I also have a KAT 500 and have had no problems with it. I also have the KPA 500 amp. To run all this stuff with my Flex 6400, I use DDUtil. The Tuner and amp plug into the laptop, and DDUtil does the work to keep everything in sync. As I change frequency, the tuner keeps up. Change bands, and the tuner and amp follow right along. So far the Flex plays very nicely with others.

What issues are you having with your KAT 500?

Len, KD0RC

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020

I also use a KAT500 and it works perfect with the KPA500. I also use a second amp/tuner that use a AT-Auto. All is hooked up with USB cables and fully automatic.

See you other post for some suggestions that I just added.

Harold

W5zzt

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020

I also use a KAT500 and it works perfect with the KPA500. I also use a second amp/tuner that use a AT-Auto. All is hooked up with USB cables and fully automatic.

See your other post for some comments I added.

Harold

W5zzt

• Don_N5SKT
    Don_N5SKT Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"I had an AT-1000ProII and was very disappointed with it. When it did tune my doublet, it was a little less than 2.1 and then it stopped. I found a threshold setting that would force it to go for 1.7 to one but everytime it powered down, I had to set that again. And, many times, the flex would show 2.4 to 1 or sometimes as high as 2.7:1 via FRSTACK. I could manually pull the AT1000 down to 1.2:1 which would bring the SWR down on the radio. Why pay for an automatic tuner when you have to manually adjust it. I got rid of it in favor Palstar AT2KD. ****, if I am manually adjusting every time, time for a top quality manual tuner (did not want to pop for the HF-Auto). However, I have taken that out of line and now run a DX Commander ABV (Classic) and now switch bands with no need for a tuner. \n"}]
  • Phil N3ZP
    Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭

My KAT500 would Fault almost every time I went to transmit, even after tuning to a low SWR at low power. It even did it with a dummy load. After lots of emails back and forth to Elecraft support, I finally got a return authorization. It's now in their repair queue.

• Elecraft KPA1500 works well with my 6600. Antennas are all resonant wires, so no real challenge.

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭

My HF Auto has been around for 5 years it works great. About 6 months ago it started having issues.

Called Palstar and spoke with Paul they received my unit and called with an estimate.

The prices were very reasonable now I have a brand new looking and performing HF Auto.

Ian

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

I only run 100 watts. I have been using an LDG AT-200Pro II Autotuner with an EFHW. I've never had any issues with it. It works great allowing me to tune up even on some non-resonant bands. I'm probably heating up the coax with most of my power in those instances but the rig is happy, 😜

73, Bob

• Randy KN4YBA
    Randy KN4YBA Member ✭✭
    I first tried the LDG AT-200Pro II but was not happy with the results. After I pulled my MFJ-939Y Auto Tuner from the Ft 991A and determined it worked well with my 6400. I added remote switch for the auto turner plus reverse engineered the fine tune button on the MFJ-939Y to also permit me to remotely fine tune with a 2nd remote switch.

The MFJ-939Y tunes my 160, 80, 40, 20, 17 to 12, & 10m inverted V horse fence & 6m vertical antennas in my attic.

I just love my Flex 6400!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I sold my near new, mint HF Auto when I received the Tuner Genius XL. If you can afford one and wait it is well worth it. The 1x3 is much better than the HF Auto. Speaking from faster tuning and tight integration to the Flex radio and PG XL amp.

Dave wo2x

• gordonz
    gordonz Member ✭✭
    I am using a MFJ-947HB balanced line tuner. I need a very wide tuner to for my 80m-6m attic doublet. I live in a three story townhome and an outside antenna is not possible. The doublet works extremely well and lets me reach most of the world on FT8. I can tune all bands to SWR 1.3 or less.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.