Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power Genius XL v3.4.16 Firmware and Power Genius XL Utility v2.2.10 are Now Available

Tim - W4TME
Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

FlexRadio Systems announces the immediate availability of the Power Genius XL Firmware v3.4.16. This is a general firmware release for use with all Power Genius XL amplifiers.  It is highly recommended that you review the Release Notes included with the firmware to ensure an optimal software installation experience.  The Power Genius XL v3.4.16 Firmware can be downloaded from the FlexRadio website. 

FlexRadio Systems also announces the immediate availability of the Power Genius XL Utility v2.2.10.  This is a general software release that contains numerous new features and bug fixes.  The Power Genius XL Utility v2.2.10 can be downloaded from the FlexRadio website.

To ensure the best possible user experience with the new Power Genius XL firmware and the updated Power Genius XL Utility, we encourage you to download the updated Power Genius XL User Guide that covers all of the new features and capabilities available with this release.

Power Genius XL Firmware Updates:

• 120 VAC Support: The amplifier now actively adjusts operational factors, warnings, and limits when powered by 120 VAC

• Change: Thermal Management and Fans: In Contest mode, fans turn off when the temperature reaches low setpoint instead of waiting 20 minutes.

Power Genius XL Utility Updates: 

• Device names (nicknames) can now be configured and displayed.

• Clicking on the new MEffA indicator will toggle the MEffA function on/off.

• Clicking on the fan mode icon will cycle through the available fan profiles.

• New history chart shows usage for up to 48 hours

• The about dialog is now available from the connected device screen.

• Utility display is now the same as the PGXL

• Window position now persisted in the registry, not a configuration file.

• Improved app startup performance

• Ethernet communications performance is improved

• Fan switching time is improved

Power Genius XL Utility Bug Fixes: 

• The exception and crash when saving configuration if the network connection down does not occur.

• Uninstall now removes the Windows Utility registry settings.

• Installation configures firewall for all network types – previously, only the Private Network type was configured.

• The peak power indicator now accurately reflects the peak power as measured in the amp.

Comments

• I have a PGXL on order; when it ships will it have this 'new' version installed?

• LA9AKA Hans Chr.
    LA9AKA Hans Chr. Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Received mine earlier this week, it had the latest firmware installed.

73 Hans Christian LA9AKA
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭

Dumb Question - Does it matter which version of the utility I use to download the firmware - the old version or should I download the new utility before updating the amp firmware?

Thanks - Keith - AC9S

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

Not to worry if your new PGXL doesn't ship with the latest firmware it is very easy to upload.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

@AC9S is ia always a best practice to use the latest version of the Power Genius XL Utility to install the latest firmwre.

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭
    Fan and accuracy of the meter is much improved excellent upgrade.

Ian
    KM4CQG
  • Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭

I'm not sure what the meter is showing me. Before the upgrade, on SSB using 40 watts of drive, the utility meter would show about 1200 - 1300 watts. The meter is SmartSDR would show closer to 500 watts.

With new firmware and utility (and after a full power reboot), the utility for 40 watts shows about 500 watts and the history chart shows about 1200 watts..

What am I missing?

Tom, N9GUN

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭

Tom

On the Utility program do you see where it says Meffa in Red?

Click on that and make in go dim.

I think you just engaged the Meffa which will control efficiency as function of output power. MEffA is a unique technique that changes the DC voltage level to the PA in a manner to match the envelope of the exciting RF in order to yield the most efficiency.

Ian

KM4CQG

• Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭

Hi Ian -

I'm pretty sure that is on. I'll try it when I fire back up. Storms all day today.

Thanks and 73, Tom

• N4OC
    N4OC Member ✭✭
    > @"Tim - W4TME" said:
    > FlexRadio Systems announces the immediate availability of the Power Genius XL Firmware v3.4.16. This is a general firmware release for use with all Power Genius XL amplifiers.  It is highly recommended that you review the Release Notes included with the firmware to ensure an optimal software installation experience.  The Power Genius XL v3.4.16 Firmware can be downloaded from the FlexRadio website. 
    > FlexRadio Systems also announces the immediate availability of the Power Genius XL Utility v2.2.10.  This is a general software release that contains numerous new features and bug fixes.  The Power Genius XL Utility v2.2.10 can be downloaded from the FlexRadio website.
    > To ensure the best possible user experience with the new Power Genius XL firmware and the updated Power Genius XL Utility, we encourage you to download the updated Power Genius XL User Guide that covers all of the new features and capabilities available with this release.
    > Power Genius XL Firmware Updates:
    > • 120 VAC Support: The amplifier now actively adjusts operational factors, warnings, and limits when powered by 120 VAC
    > • Change: Thermal Management and Fans: In Contest mode, fans turn off when the temperature reaches low setpoint instead of waiting 20 minutes.
    > Power Genius XL Utility Updates: 
    > • Device names (nicknames) can now be configured and displayed.
    > • Clicking on the new MEffA indicator will toggle the MEffA function on/off.
    > • Clicking on the fan mode icon will cycle through the available fan profiles.
    > • New history chart shows usage for up to 48 hours
    > • The about dialog is now available from the connected device screen.
    > • Utility display is now the same as the PGXL
    > • Window position now persisted in the registry, not a configuration file.
    > • Improved app startup performance
    > • Ethernet communications performance is improved
    > • Fan switching time is improved
    > Power Genius XL Utility Bug Fixes: 
    > • The exception and crash when saving configuration if the network connection down does not occur.
    > • Uninstall now removes the Windows Utility registry settings.
    > • Installation configures firewall for all network types – previously, only the Private Network type was configured.
    > • The peak power indicator now accurately reflects the peak power as measured in the amp.
  • N4OC
    N4OC Member ✭✭
    Tim— these summaries are quite helpful.

One suggestion though is to highlight in the manual’s margins or with some other editing technique where the new additions/corrections are as you read thru the manual.

Keep up the improvements. It’s a great amp and can’t wait to receive the TunerGenius XL

Ed N4OC
  • Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭

Handled all remotely and looks great. Like the fan selection from utility panel now!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.