Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Specifying local IP to Subnet

I run my Flex on a subnet. As a result, a local radio search on the main network will not see the radio on the subnet. That's is ok. What I need to be able to do is specific a local IP address in the form of "****.****.****.****:pppp", where "pppp" is the forwarded port number on the subnet. Example: "192.168.1.8:4993" (UDP). This causes a search error. Btw, Smartlink works fine. Please advise.

Comments

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭

It's not surprising that you have trouble if SSDR or Maestro are on one subnet and the radio is on another. That's kind of what subnets are for - isolation. I suppose you could bridge between subnets (with an appropriate router), but why?

Let us know what you are trying to achieve and why you went with a subnet.

73 Martin AA6E

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

Unless you find a way to tunnel broadcast traffic from one subnet to the other, you will never see the radio in a radio chooser running on the “main” network. This is the reason remote access via VPN needs to forward broadcast traffic (as in bridging) - the radio needs to be in the same collision domain as SSDR.

Ted VE3TRQ

• jwg3
    jwg3 Member
    The radio is in the shop with a lot of other electronics and electro-mechanical devices such as networked 3D printers. All are hard wired. The subnet router has presence in the main network via IP.

I do not see this issue with other devices in the shop. I can get to the UI's of my printers, including video streams, without issue through port-forwarding on the subnet router; hence, my asking about port specification in SSDR Mac.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Typically, when your radio is in a different network from your computer running SSDR, you use SmartLink to connect. You may just be on a subnet, but it’s a different network.

As an aside, It is unlikely SmartLink will reach your radio through two private networks without some proper router forwards and configuration. Your real problem is trying to use radio discovery - it just won’t work unless you see broadcasts from the network the radio is in. Of course you could always sniff the network to discover what broadcasts need to be forwarded to your main subnet.

Ted VE3TRQ

• jwg3
    jwg3 Member
    Smartlink works fine, which is what I'm using, for now.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Yes, if you forward through the external and internal router that will work. But you won’t see the radio on your main network unless your router forwards broadcasts from the radio to your main network, and ensures there is a route back to the radio (which I would assume you have set up)

• jwg3
    jwg3 Member
    Something doesn't sound right to me.

I can use Smartlink to access my radio through two routers via defined ports on both routers. Same port definitions on both routers. That involves communication from here to Texas and back into my network to get to the radio.

But, I can't specify the same local IP/port in SSDR Mac to access the radio from my chair. I'm not scanning for a radio. I'm saying, "here it is; follow the IP and port".