Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I move my contesting logging to the Mac

This discussion was created from comments split from: SmartSDR for Mac v1.3.2 to be available soon.

Answers

• tparish
    tparish Member ✭✭

Purchased a copy the first day I received the announcement. Love it. As was said above, money well spent if you're a Mac user.

NOW - how do I move my contesting logging to the Mac such that it integrates well with my 6400? I don't want to have to add Winkey box.

Because I had no choice for quite a while, I've used SmartSDR and N1MM for a couple of years. Would appreciate any suggestions on the right path of evolution to Mac OS contesting logging. (or maybe I should post this somewhere else).

Anyway, I'm pumped. Go Marcus!

Tom KB5RF

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭

From what I hear, Skookum Logger is a pretty good contest logger for Mac. You will probably want xKEY to allow full-time keyer use and allow programs to think there's a real live Winkeyer attached. Otherwise, you're kind of stuck with CWX and macros.

• tparish
    tparish Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
  • Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭

Have you looked at the contest mode in MacLoggerDX?

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

SkookumLogger is more for serious contesting, with rules set up, etc. MacLoggerDX is great for casual contest logging.

My 2 cents (we no longer have pennies here :-)

Ted VE3TRQ

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

First my intention is not to hijack the the topic

just want clarificaiton / info on how to make it with with flex radio's

since it Skookum help pages do not provide any such info

hey Ted, just downloaded Skookum on mac mini with catalina but i do not see any flex radios supported in the list

What is the proper way to make it work with flex 6000series, since is doesnt seem to know about network controlled radios...just usb ports devices ???

i have used macloggerdx in contest and always willing to trying something

thanks

Paul K3SF

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭

to the question in hand

per manual on logging

6.6. Logbook

The included Logbook was implemented with the idea in mind to offer a quick and easy logging feature to this App which should already provide all basic requirements for day to day logging.

If you are running SmartSDR for Mac or SmartSDR for iOS on different devices, the logbook can be automatically synchronized between all devices.

In addition, you can Export (and import) ADIF files to exchange logbook contents to (or from) other logbook software.

my thought would be you could easily export you logs from your current logging sw/ in adif format and then import them into the new ssdrmac log

Paul K3SF

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Paul, your comment is right on the money. I simply was not connecting SkookumLogger to the Flex. At the time I was using my K3. I do recall discovering that a serial port CAT connection was the only thing that worked with SkookumLogger.

If it could be connected to to the Flex for band info, it would be an excellent Flex choice.

Ted VE3TRQ

• Mark Adams
    Mark Adams Member ✭✭
    Hi Gang,

I've been an avid Skookum Logger user for about 8 years and LOVE the software. Bill, K1GQ is super attentive to the users and a small dev group handles the upgrades/updates. There is no user group and Bill asks that anyone with issues contact him directly.

So I did. Turns out that Skookum, like many Mac loggers only talks to a radio via serial port CAT as VE3TRQ mentioned. Flex uses an IP based system. So, the only way Skookum will work is if smartCAT is implemented to fool Skookum into thinking it is talking serial. Skookum also requires a K1EL box for CW. That is no issue as the software will talk to it right from the computer.

I'll spend the $150 for smartSDR for Mac OS as soon as someone confirms that Skookum works with SmartCAT. K1GQ does not have a Flex and told me that if someone sent him a loaner he'd work on the integration. At this point, I'm just about ready to send him mine and put my K3 back into service!!

Mark K2QO
    FN03ra
  • K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭

RUMlogNG allows connection to the SmartSDR CAT program through TCP/IP, using 127.0.0.1:5002 and the TS-2000 commands. I've only tested this using the demo mode of SmartSDR for Mac which doesn't allow retuning/band changes/etc, but RUMlogNG picked right up on the correct frequency and mode (SSB) of the demo mode so this is a positive sign.

Personally, I prefer RUMlogNG's contest mode over that of Skookum, but to each their own.

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭

A test here this afternoon shows that RUMlogNG (using TS-2000 mode) picks up the frequency from SmartSDR for Mac when it initializes, but then doesn't follow frequency or mode changes thereafter.  Not as positive as I had hoped.

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭

For what it is worth, I just got a message from Marcus saying that the next version should include improved support for RUMlogNG, which means that it will hopefully support both DX and Contesting modes of RUMlogNG.

This is good news as RUMlogNG is my contesting software of choice.

• Chip Swett
    Chip Swett Member ✭✭

RUMlogNG is my favorite contest logger as well. I haven't gotten it to work yet through 1.3.9. This version is supposed to facilitate communication with **** Ng...I'll be interested to hear of others success.

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭

I got it to work, as long as I don't change bands. I can tune up/down on one band and RUMlogNG tracks with no problem. Change bands and it doesn't follow. A TRX reset in RUMlogNG will resync it and it will work once again until you change bands again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Setup RUMlogNG to work with the TS-2000 using TCP CAT control. You have to plug in the IP address (usually 127.0.0.1) and the port (whatever you have CAT set to in SmartSDR for CAT, and that CAT must be set to TS-2000 mode as well.

• Chip Swett
    Chip Swett Member ✭✭

Thanks, Dave. With your setup parameters, I now have it working in 1.3.9. It successfully changes bands.

• Mark Adams
    Mark Adams Member ✭✭
    I'm on 1.3.10 and cannot get band changes to work. But MORE importantly is that I really would like smartCAT to run independently of the main program so I could use my Maestro and RumlogNG together for contests. Mabye I'm missing some details on how this all works?
  • Mark Adams
    Mark Adams Member ✭✭
    I should have been clear. I meant band changes in RumlogNG.