Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

cannot connect to radio from hotel room

Options
Jim_K6KGW
Jim_K6KGW Member
edited August 2020 in Remote Operation (SmartLink)
Has anyone using Century Link as their ISP and specifically using the C1000A DSL Modem/Router been able to setup SmartLink in able to be able to run a 6400 remotely?

I am having a **** of a time being able to port forward the ports being generated with UPnP.

The thought was that UPnP would do that automatically...perhaps it does on a real router but the C1000A does not seem to do it and I can't figure out how to make it do it.

PS running 3.1.12

If any of you have made this work, please share!

73 Jim K4ECP

Best Answer

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Jim, I have Century Link, but my modem is a ZyXel C1100Z.  I never needed to mess with any settings or UPnP, it just worked locally and remotely over SmartLink.  Maybe the differences between the C1000A and the C1100Z will help to point you in the right direction.
    Len, KD0RC
  • John K0TG
    John K0TG Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Jim,

I have a C3000A but it is similar. I did not use UPnP, but just set the ports using Port Forwarding under the Advanced setup tab. I don't recall the issue, but there was a problem relying on UPnP.

10.13.17.10 is the radio in this case. Set yours up in a similar way and it should work.

One more thing. I recently have had others try to connect to me remotely and they have had difficulty. They were on cable and I am on DSL. I never have had any trouble connecting to home from any of my cellular hotspots. But they did with cable. To fix that they had to change the MTU size on the device. I think he ended up using 1460 as the packet size. If it is an MTU issue, you will see the PC connect tot he radio, but not display frequency or show the waterfall.

I hoope that helps.

73, John K0TG

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin
    Options

There are some DSL providers that use "Bonded" DSL, which parallels two phone lines to provide 4 wires to your modem instead of 2 wires.

These bonded connections sometimes cause issues with the connection and the SmartLink Port Forwarding will not work correctly.

Fortunately, many times the user can put the ISP provided Modem/Router combo into "Bridge Mode" and connect their own router and let the new router carry the load of DHCP, Port Forwarding, Firewall, etc.

We have had some success this way in several instances.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.