Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RTTY Split Pileup listening

DL7JAN
DL7JAN Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hello,

is there any practical solution where I can see in which part of the suband a station is coming back to a DX station which is working a RTTY pileup in a (larger) split mode?

In my other radio I simply change VFO A with VFO B to find the right place in the subband an will see where a station is coming back with the report to the DX station and after I switch back the VFO's to TX in that range. If anyone could give me a hint would be great!

Maybe a mix between the radio and the third party software to do?

73 Jan,DL7JAN

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

I'm transferring this ticket to the SmartSDR for Windows category for higher visibility since that is the location that is more appropriate since this issue is related to the SmartSDR software and not the radio hardware.

• DL7JAN
    DL7JAN Member ✭✭
    Okay Tim, thanks! Hope to get a hopefully easy solution ;-)
    73 Jan,DL7JAN
  • K5XH
    K5XH Member ✭✭

Hi Jan,

It is possible to do what you require. I have done it many times on (now rare) DXpeditions that operate RTTY. I am not near my radio at the moment so I can't give you step by step instructions. I use MMTTY for basic RTTY contacts and a mix of MMTTY and 2Tone for SO2R contest operation. For the occasional DXpedition I set up two instances of MMTTY and open a second slice on the radio. Setup one MMTTY to use Slice A audio and the other to use Slice B. Setup Slice A for transmission. Park Slice B on the DX station and Slice A (your transmitter) in the pileup.

I believe there are some other resources on the Community that might help with setting up two instances of MMTTY. You might search on You Tube as well.

Hope this helps!

73, Mark K5XH

• DL7JAN
    DL7JAN Member ✭✭
    Hey Mark,
    thanks for your answer. Will try it out but sounds logical ;-)
    Maybe the best practical way to do!?
    73 Jan,DL7JAN
  • K5XH
    K5XH Member ✭✭

Hi Jan,

You didn't mention what RTTY program you are using. I haven't tried what I suggested with anything other than MMTTY. One of the other RTTY programs might work as well. Here is a bit more detail on what I do with MMTTY.

As best I can remember you need to install two copies of MMTTY in separate directories. Get the first copy working for transmit and receive with a single slice (Slice A) . Once you have Slice A working then press "SPLIT" which opens Slice B. Start the second copy of MMTTY. Use the same settings that the first copy used except for the DAX setting (use RX2). Don't set TX audio to DAX - you won't transmit on Slice B. Make sure DAX is turned on for Slice B. Don't set any of the transmission options for Slice B.

Add a few macros and you are ready to go!

Tune the DX on Slice B. Set Slice A in the pileup and start calling.

Now if only there was some DXpeditions to work!

Good luck, stay safe, and hope to work you on RTTY some day!

Mark K5XH

• DL7JAN
    DL7JAN Member ✭✭
    Hey Mark,

a long delay (SORRY) but now I tried it out.
    MMTTY runs ok and it seems a really good possibility as you told me...thanks for that :-)
    Normaly I am running MixW for RTTY but there it seems two copies uses the same config.
    So sadly it's not to handle like we can do it with MMTTY.
    If anyone has a solution would be great of course...

Hope to catch you in RTTY too some day!

73 Jan,DL7JAN
  • K5XH
    K5XH Member ✭✭

I don't know anything about MixW. Sorry it won't work for you. You might consider setting up the MMTTY option just for the case when a rare DX shows up working split. I know it will work.

Good luck!

73, Mark

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.