Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Setting static IP to Maestro, FlexRadio and SmartSDR

DH2ID
DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
Today I had to solve a problem for a friend of mine, who had problems with his FritzBox router and WLAN. His Maestro would not connect correctly to his WLAN. Although all settings were correct, no waterfall would show on his Maestro.
I solved this by setting static (fixed) IP's to all his FlexRadio connections by reading the IP's his FritzBox sets automatically, fixing them and then setting all his Flex gear to the corresponding static IP's also.
This works and his network runs stable now with no packet loss.
My own net at home has static IP's for all stationary PC's and FlexRadios and works with DHCP for all mobile equipment.

Comments

• Stephen Hanselman
    Stephen Hanselman Member
    edited June 2020
    My experience is that the Flex HAS to use DHCP on the initial start-up and can then be set to a static IP address.  The problem i had was using an Apple airport the Flex timed out before the DHCP server (a linux box in my case) could reply with an address.  i had to go to a different WiFi router to get the unit started up.

As to your friends problem i suspect it may be a function of timing in the WLAN that prevents the DHCP server from servicing the Flex properly or possibly too short a time out on the Flex's wireless code to allow for longer than optimal DHCP server responses
    Steve KC4SW
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You're right, Stephen. It works now, fingers crossed... :-)
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I ran into a problem with my LAN when power to the Comcast modem/router drops in a storm or other power interruption. Since it takes the router minutes most of the time to reboot upon power restoration, the switch that connects the Flex 6600, computer and PGXL do not get IP assignments until the router booting is completed. 

I have to manually restart the Flex again, reboot the computer and power cycle the PGXL. All of this takes a considerable amount of time.

Static IP addresses would allow the computer, Flex and PGXL to recover directly through the network switch that ties them together directly. 

Because of several losses of power made me sensitive to the whole process, I have installed a 1500 VA, 900 watt UPS to the computer, network switch, Comcast modem/router and a cable distribution amplifier. In the interest of getting the maximum outage protection I have not put the computer screens on the UPS. I do plan on putting a 100 ah battery back up on the Flex 6600 also so it will not reboot upon power loss. 

I don't see a downside to having static IP addresses but have not gone through that effort.I have operated remote a number of times and find many more things to do to make it more stable.

Bill W9JJB
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I have not had any issues with my 6700, Maestros V1 and V2, SmartSDR, Node Red Pi, iPad with SSDR for IOS, and KPA1500 amp using DHCP reservations in my router instead of static IP addresses.

The router I am using is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 using third party Fresh Tomato firmware.

I also han an Ubiquiti dual band access point at the other end of the house. Speedtests on DSLReports show A+ on buffer bloat..

I do have the R7000 router and cable modem on a 2000 VA UPS.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.