Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR CAT Freeze

Glenn Depp
Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR CAT
Since I have began using my Flex Radio I have noticed issues with the DAX and CAT programs freezing.  What I am meaning is, right now I am unable to bring the SmartCAT v3.1.12 to the top of my computer monitor, seems like it has frozen or crashed, but, I am still able to currently transmit via my 3rd party software.  It does if it sits like this long enough completely stop working and I must go into the task manager and end task.  Usually when it is totally froze I will find it lurking in the Background Processes area of the task manager rather then in the Apps list on top.  The DAX can also have this issue but in the recent version update it has occurred much much less frequent.  The CAT however will occur often, I have found it occur a few times a day, sometimes it will still function and simply not pop up on the screen to see and others be completely frozen.  Any ideas.  I do have Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.900.  I am also running the 64 bit OS and have 16meg ram.

Answers

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you are running WSJT-X might try reducing the polling interval; File>settings>Radio tab, set Polling Interval to 4 seconds. Otherwise what other applications are you running that connect to CAT?
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    First step is to verify no network issues. Both CAT and especially DAX can be very sensitive to network issues (bad cable, dropped packets, etc). Your CAT window behavior is odd, but still don't rule out the network - check it. What is the connection between your PC and the radio?

• RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hello Glenn,

I have used this when strange things happen to my computer. You might give it a try.

SCAN REPAIR CORRUPTED SYSTEM FILES WITH SFC /SCANNOW

This is how you can run an SFC scan in Windows.

1. Be signed in to computer as Administrator.
    2. Press the Windows key + X to open the main menu.
    3. Click Windows PowerShell (Admin).
    4. When Command Prompt opens, enter sfc /scannow and press Enter. (Yes, there is a space between sfc and / ).
    5. The repair process will now start.  ( this takes a while but you have a percent counter to show progress.) 
    Good Luck,

Roy - W5TKZ 
  • Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am using CAT8 Cables.  Connection is via router, only 3 hard wire connections, the computer, flex6600 and a PS4, all other connections are wireless.
  • Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I ran that and the system did say it found errors and corrected them.  Once I get my LAN cable back from working on another computer I will connect back to flex and start it back up and we shall see if that fixed my issues.  Thanks
  • Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am not currently running WSJT-x or others.  I am running other software modems however.
  • Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    So I ran that command the other day and have had to end it in task manager again and restart it.  I Left it frozen and running the command again to see if it finds any new errors causing the issue.  Didn't see any improvement from running it the other day however.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.