Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

use of noip service as alternative to a static ip address

Howard AE3T
Howard AE3T Member
The cost from my isp for a static ip address is very high. The work around that I have selected is the noip.com service.

I am a bit confused on how to get it running.I have set up an account, but am confused on how I start to use it. My Apple router is now configured for the dynamic IP for the Flex radio that I want connected, and this works fine till my isp changes my ip address.  For my Flex 6400, I have 2 ports forwarded and all is fine. Do I replace my current radio IP address with my noip host name in my Apple router or keep it the same?

I would like a seamless stable connection when the next time my ip address is changed by my isp.

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Howard,

You need to download the noip client.  They have versions for windows, mac, linux.

Pick the one that fits and download it.   On windows it runs as a service.  You enter your noip account and password into it.  It will periodically talk to the noip server and let it know your IP.

Mark - WS7M
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020
    Hi Howard

There are many ways to have your router update the noip service.   If you Apple Router does not have it built in, sometimes in a tab called DynDNS then you have a few options.

Replace the Apple Router - personally, I find that are just 'ok' and I are designed so you can't play with many settings.  They may not be very good at handling buffer bloat, but it has been a while since I tested them.

The other option is to have some device on your network that is running 7x24 that can also update your NoIp service with your current WAN address.

It sounds a bit complicated, but it is only a few steps.    There are many client programs that run on Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi's, etc.  They all do the same job very well.  It depends which NoIp service you use as there are many.  I use DynDNS but I don't think it is free anymore.  I paid for it when they started up and they have been really good.

Mike va3mw

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    "Do I replace my current radio IP address with my noip host name in my Apple router or keep it the same?"

In answer to this, no, the internal IP addresses (your radio address, PC address, etc), do not change and remain what they have always been. If forwarding is working now, just leave it alone also. The only thing that will change is the outside (public) address assigned by your ISP to the WAN interface of the router. As explained by Mark, this will be managed by the "noip" app and system.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.