Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

static ip address & using Duck DNS

Howard AE3T
Howard AE3T Member
edited June 2020 in Networking
My ISP has been great and has not changed my IP address for along time till this past month when it has changed 3 times. I operate my F6400 remote and am concerned that this will occur when I am away and cant re program my router, and will not be able to access my station.

I have learned about using the service of duck DNS but am very confused on how to configure it. Is there a step by step guide on how to do this for Win 10 ?

Answers

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    An alternative is - https://www.noip.com/  No-Ip.

Easy, reliable, and free.  I've used them on and off for years.

• Roger Hartel
    Roger Hartel Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I use a Christmas light timer to turn off power to my modem for 15min every night at 3 AM. That is another low tech solution.
  • JerryW
    JerryW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

If you have an ASUS router set it up with their free DDNS. If no ASUS and your about to buy a new router anyway, check out ASUS.

URL: hostname.asuscomm.com:4994

To access your Flex do this:

Step 1, 2  and 3 WA0RCX

• Ken - VE5KC
    Ken - VE5KC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I used https://www.noip.com for years, back when experimenting with  servers etc, It worked well for the most part.

Have you considered another option to simplify things?

Ask your ISP about options to getting a static IP? It may cost a few bucks but will eliminate the problem.

I upgraded to a higher speed fibre plan that included 2 fixed (static) IPs for a bit more than the cost of the old plan.

Another benefit we found is that we stay online when others in town loose their connection when there is a problem with getting an IP address.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.