Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

More than One Flex-6000 on a Network - Configuring Your Ports

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I ran into problems being too caviler configuring running more than one Flex-6000 on my network, running at the same time.

Really wasn't hard to sort out, though in process I found a lot of reference materials scattered or more technical than needed.

So here, with some help from my friends, is my write up:  https://k9zw.wordpress.com/2020/06/05/more-than-one-flex-6000-on-a-network-configuring-your-ports/

Would really apprecaite any feedback, comments or corrections to also be emailed or posted in comments at the blog so I catch them quickest.

Hope this helps anyone going down the same path.  I've offered the article to FRS for their usage.

Steve
K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Doug - K3TZR
    Doug - K3TZR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Steve,

Very nicely done. Your article may explain an issue one of my friends is experiencing. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

73's Doug
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Thank you so much for such a well-written article. Nice that you are around.

Jim, K6QE
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Steve, nice article - it work since over a year here, but you forgot to say that you can't run 2x F6xxx on one PC at the same time

73 Chris

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Running several remote Flex-6000s on one PC right in front of you is not a proposition right now.  I've not done this nor tried to.  Presently I think the limitation is a single instance of CAT and DAX. 

There are more considerations on why it is difficult to make happen than DX and CAT, considerations beyond what I've time to include in my reply.  

Remember one operator at one PC remoting into several Flex-6000s isn't the only configuration structure that would need the setup I've described.

At this stage I'm using the setup to allow single-user A/B changes between radios. 

Some folks have pooled their Flex-6000s at antenna sites and may be operating more than one Flex-6000 at that remote network, but with different users perhaps remoting from completely different remote locations.

I'll try running some combinations where a Maestro, SmartSDR for iOS on another device and a second SmartSDR for Windows are running down the road.  

You've touched on things I'm hoping to write about in the future.

Steve
    K9ZW

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanking everyone for their kind comments.

Watch down the road for a bit more write up on Port Forwarding in relationship to other typical remote-enhanced Flex based shack equipment.  

I'm tracking suggestions and will make a bulk edit to the main article later. 

One item pointed out is that some routers merge the static lease idea and port forwarding to basically create port forwarding rules by Mac addresses.  It doesn't seem like a true DCHP reservation is configurable on these routers, but if the port forwarding rules are that well bound to each radio it looks workable.  

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.