Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEX 3000 software lockup

Options
Michael W
Michael W Member
Running PowerSDR KE9NS current version software. After a period of time the software no longer receives . I click power off then on and all is ok once again. Seems like a when no menu clicks are selected this "freeze" seems to happen. I have kept the default settings. The pc is a I7 3.3G w/32G ram quad core. The KE9NS software shows only 10% cpu usage. Any suggestions on what might be the cause? I have uninstalled and reinstalled and the 2.7 software from FLEX does NOT freeze up. So....some setting in the KE9NS software? Looking for assistance. Thank you ...Mike

Answers

• Marty VK2VCC
    Marty VK2VCC Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    which windows version?
    .NET framework update?
  • Charles
    Charles Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Had the same issues Mike. Switched to VER 2.8.0.80 and seems better now. Also had several other com ports running with omni rig in the back ground. Today I will re install the other com ports for SDRPLY  with tracking at the same time.  Just to see if it causes conflicts.

Hope this helps as I have been running the original KE9Ns  software VER  2.8.0.80 with no freezes for almost a week now in daily use.

73 and God Bless.

Charles 
    FLEX 3000 10 yrs old
    OH  yeah  Windows 10 

WB4QBD
  • Michael W
    Michael W Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Thank you all for the reply. I have current updated .NET framework and windows 10. Version 2.8.0.140. I had lockup 2 times. Click START to start program and unlocks. CPU usage on my i5 desktop...25% average.
    Mike
    WD8BP
  • Thomas Dove
    Thomas Dove Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I've waited to reply until updating my KE9NS software to 2.8.0.141 in hopes that would fix the problem, but it didn't. I've had this issue since about ver. 2.8.0.137, perhaps earlier. The time between freezes varies widely from a few minutes to about an hour with no obvious correlation to any other software running or anything else I can see.

I love the KE9NS versions of PowerSDR and hope this can be cleared up.

Mac Mini with latest updated version of Windows 10 running under Boot Camp. The OS has been quite stable. 

Tom / K3ORC
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I don't think the lockups are related to the PSDR  version of software even as It may seem that it is. I suspect your are having split second connection dropouts causing it. Many of us are running PSDR under Win 10 without ever having a lockup. So in light of that it seems like an OS software issue.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Check your Flex firewire driver for latency events and change the driver settings accordingly.
    I run my PSDR on a GETAC S400 with an i5 dual core CPU and 8GB RAM. No dropouts and no lockups.
    If I try the same on my I7 VAIO 8GB RAM I get a lot of latency and sometimes a lockup. All W10pro.
    All depends on the firewire chip. Should be from TI. 
    Latency is a killer, the best latency scanners are from the audio&MIDI guys, because audio
    dropouts in a recording session are a nogo ... 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • Thomas Dove
    Thomas Dove Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
      It looks like Alex found the source of the trouble.
      I remembered that when I first set up my Flex 3000 and PowerSDR years ago, there was a latency problem, which I fixed. The fix is to change the IEEE1394 driver (find it in the Device Manager) back to the "Legacy" version. 
      I did that last night after discovering that a Windows update last April had reset my system to a TI driver which has excess latency. My PowerSDR has been stable since changing to the Legacy driver, with no freezes.
      Microsoft has removed it from its original location, but it can still be found here:

https://download.microsoft.com/download/6/C/D/6CDAFBA0-054A-44FA-B627-BC1F1E1C6772/1394_OHCI_LegacyDriver.msi

It is listed as a driver for Windows 8.1, but it works properly on my computer with the latest updated version of Windows 10. YMMV.

-- Tom / K3ORC
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Tom, I left my Flex 3k running for 17 hours now with my GETAC S400, a semirugged notebook I can recommend and that you can get used on the bight for about 400
    bucks here. No lockups.

Operating System:     
    Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Build 18363.535 (1909/November 2019 Update)
    Merry Christmas, Alex - DH2ID

DPC latency checker: 

• Michael W
    Michael W Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hello all. I have recently again purchased a FLEX 3000 and i am still having the freeze lockup I had few months back. I installed the 1394 OHCI_Legacy_Driver.msi but still software freezes after a period of time. I have the good graphite firewire cable. Windows 10 all drivers up to date.
    Any suggestions?

Thank you
    Mike
    WD8BP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.