Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I search the "Community" - Search criteria isn't working for me

K7JV
K7JV Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am struggling with searching the Community.  Today, I am trying to find posts on how to operate CW from a Windows laptop.  Unfortunately, most of the articles are three, or four or five or more years old.  So I put in the search critiera to list the articles "Newest at the top".  When I do that, the newest appear to be at the top, but the CW criteria is ignored, even though I had "remote cw" in the topic box.

Is it possible to search for a topic and have it sort applicable posts with the newest at the top?  I'm getting blue in the face, from trying.

Answers

• Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Please try remotehams.com. might be just what you are looking for.
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I, too, struggle with finding the most recent posts on things even when using "advanced search".
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You can use that google thing to search this website.  For example:

blue in face  site:https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/

Good Hunting,

Tim == k3tim/7
  • K7JV
    K7JV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thank you, Ben.  I visited their site.  Looks like they are Elekraft based, but maybe the software is more universal.  I didn't download it, yet.  I would think that FLEX would come up with a way to remotely run CW on the FLEX radios without having to have the Maestro in hand.  I did get the Maestro, but there may be times when I would not have it, but have my laptop and want to operate CW.

All it would take would be to have the option for a side-tone, and the trackpad or mouse buttons could function as a straight key, if nothing else.  I'll check out the RCForb product.

Thank you again, and cheers and best 73.
  • K7JV
    K7JV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You may be right, Tim.  Doing a Google search with two or three words to describe the heart of the question, and perhaps the word FLEX.

I just tried that and in the Google window I typed "cw remote flex", and I got several hits, all tied to this forum.  So I think you are absolutely right.

Thank you so much.  Best 73!
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am not sure what specific details you need to operate remote cw but they are not any different from remote SSB.  Launch SmartSDR on you remote laptop windows computer and use the CWX functionality built into SmartSDR to operate CW.  Of course you need to have setup Smartlink on you Flex radio connected to the internet or use a VPN to connect back to the home station.  Now if specifically you want to use a paddle rather than CWX that causes some complication.  I hope this helps but I would also say the old posts are still mostly valid today.   Not much had changed with SmartSDR when operating CW remotely.  There have been some user developments regarding work arounds to hook a key directly to your remote laptop and also to deal with latency of cw tone.

I share you frustration on the search functionality of this forum.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you happen to be using the CHROME browser there is an extension that works well to search the community or any other site.  I've been using it for a few years and it makes finding things much easier than using the community search box.   It will add small "search icon" to your bar and it makes searching fast and more focused.

Here is a link to the extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/search-the-current-site/jliolpcnkmolaaecncdfeofombdekjcp?hl=en

If you try it let me know what you think.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 Win10 SSDR V2.4.9

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It would help a lot if any search of the Community defaulted to "Newest First" rather than some unidentified order.
  • Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you prefer to use the duckduckgo.com search engine instead Google's, you can enter a search in DuckDuckGo with the following syntax:

site:https://community.flexradio.com keywordfirst keywordsecond keywordnext

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    This works for google too.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020
    I was just going to say the same thing.  If you do this in the Chrome search bar, it might help.

site:community.flexradio.com blah blah

You will get results unique to the site.  I use this all the time and it will only return results from the community.

Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.