Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 5000a hook to computer speakers

Chris Tucker
Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
I have a Flex 5000a that I finally have running correctly, but I am tired of listening on headphones. I have a pair of self powered recording monitor speakers hooked to my computer.
How do I get audio to them from the Radio ?

Answers

• Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Chris- you need to plug the powered speakers into the 5000 (it’s a jack on rear panel labeled “power speakers” . That should give you audio. Bob K3AC
  • Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    No Bob, the Flex cannot have my self powered recording monitors, all to themselves. I guess I could simply buy a less expensive pair of powered speakers, and dedicate them to the Flex, but I am trying to figure out some way to run the audio of the Flex into the computer, and use it to activate the speakers.
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Don't think you can do that, but maybe one of the 5000 guru's on here can let you know if that's possible and how to connect it.  I had a dedicated PC I used with my 5000 (now run the 6600M) and I used a dedicated  PC (Dell mini-tower) that had a built in (mono) speaker so no need for 2 sets of powered speakers. 
    GL/73,
    Bob K3AC
  • Gary Zabriskie
    edited June 2020
    If you want to use your PC as a MIC and Speaker for your Flex Radio, you can use a virtual audio cable on the PC to route the audio on receive to your PC speakers.

Go to:

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

Follow KE9NS's info here:

https://ke9ns.com/flexpage.html#vac

• Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Wow, I didn't realize it would be so involved. I have a 32 inch TCL 4K TV I use as a monitor. It works awesome! With the KE9NS Software, and a decent video card, the Graphics are stunning. On each side of the monitor are a pair of Fostex powered studio monitors. I would sure like the graphics and the sound to all come from the same place.
  • JohnK2CIB
    JohnK2CIB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Download and run Virtual Audio Cable - easy to use.  Just specify the Flex-5000 audio output as the input and your speaker system as the output and click run.
    https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/repeater.htm
    John, K2CIB

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Easiest way to move the Stereo audio from the radio to your computer is to use a stereo dual male cable from the Powered speaker jack to a Line input of your computer input or to a second input to your speaker . I use a line mixer from all my radio outputs Dudley WA5QPZ
  • Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I wish my recording monitors had a second input. The have a single XLR Female input, that is hooked to my computers sound card. 
  • Dale - AE6DS
    Dale - AE6DS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Why not just put a mixer between monitors and inputs?
  • Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    That may be the easiest way out. Yes, I could simply buy a single powered speaker for the Flex I guess, but then I couldn't use the recording monitor speakers.

• Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I downloaded Virtual Audio Cable, and finally have it working. However, for some reason, I now have no transmit audio, if I use PTT. However, if I key the radio by clicking on the MOX, I have transmit.
    Help! 
  • Gary Zabriskie
    edited June 2020
    There is a setting in VAC that you click on to allow PTT to override VAC.
  • Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I re set everything, and that seems to have fixed it! 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.