Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

no DAX after upgrade to 2.6.2.50

Dave KD5FX
Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in DAX
I just upgraded to Ver. 2.6.2.50 and now there's no DAX. I can see the SDR and CAT running fine but when I click on the DAX icon nothing happens. I checked and I'm not getting audio via DAX to Spectrum Lab. I did a restart on Windows 8 and a Cold boot of the 6300. How do I get it to work?

Answers

• AE2A
    AE2A Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Windows 8 is no longer supported! the last update most likely did the same thing it did on a recent Windows 10 up, it took away all your audio device connections.the best fix: Upgrade to Windows 10 Professional! To fix your current installation: uninstall SmartSDR and select the option to delete DAX and CAT. Cold reboot your PC. Reinstall SmartSDR with the most current version.Reboot the PC. now you should have a workable installation!

You can buy a Windows 10 Pro License Key on eBay for less than $10 !

• Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I don't want to upgrade to 10, is there any fix without doing that? Should I uninstall 2.6.2 and then re-install?

• AE2A
    AE2A Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    1. Uninstall all of SmartSDR 2.6.2 and select the option to delete DAX and CAT.
    2. Reboot your PC.
    3. Reinstall SmartSDR 2.6.2.
    4. Reboot the PC.
    5. Re-select the appropriate default devices in the Sound Applet.
    All should now work. If not, open a trouble ticket.

Continuing to run unpatched Windows 8 will present you with security risks
    especially if you access the radio remotely.

The newer releases of software that will be coming down may no longer support Windows 8.
    you can download the Windows 10 Update assistant that will create install media for you at:
    https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10
    You can buy an Instant License Key for less than $10 on eBay which will work and provide you with
    updated security patches permanently.

If you do decide to upgrade to Windows 10, be sure to make a complete backup on removable media before you begin the upgrade!

• Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks! I will try that later today. I have Win 10 license and use it on other PCs, just don't want to mess with it on the shack PC. I will eventually be forced to upgrade but plan to put it off as long as possible. 

• AE2A
    AE2A Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Don't reuse a Windows 10 Key on more than 1 PC! If you do you will likely disable both machines!
    most licenses are for a single installation, so a word to the wise should be sufficient. MAK keys are different but if you exceed the limit, you will not be able to activate windows.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    when you click on dax,,no screen shows up at all?
  • AE2A
    AE2A Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Are you clicking on an icon that is old?
    Go to the actual location of the file and start from there.
    Use the "open File Location" of a right-click on the icon.
    If there's no DAX.exe there, you'll need to find out where the right one is and create the needed desktop icon(s).
    Remember that you should install the program as the administrator, but you run the program as a user.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    On your desk top at the bottom, there should be Dax and Cat icons. They should show as soon as you start SSDR. Click on Dax, a screen should pop up, click on connect, then chose your radio and it will connect and show you the Dax panel. Also you should have done a factory reset after your upgrade.
  • Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I got it working. The un-install and re-install fixed it. Thanks everyone! This will be my last S/W update for a LONG time. 
    73, Dave KD5FX
  • Bud Hennessy
    Bud Hennessy Member
    edited June 2020
    Well I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with all of the latest updates installed on an Intel motherboard and I7 processor. I have a Flex 6500 and Flex 2.6.2 worked perfectly fine for me up until I installed a new video card.

I was running a Dell Nvidia Quadro 4000 dual displayport video card without problem, but it died. So I procured a new Radeon RX570 dual displayport card. Upon installation the video card audio drivers overtook the motherboard Realtek audio trying to route the audio to my Dell U2414H monitors.

So, I disabled those devices and re-enabled the Realtek audio as the default audio output device. Initially this worked, however the Flex DAX drivers now indicated driver errors and steadfastly refuse to output audio over the Windows default output device. Interestingly, WSJT-X was still able to connect to DAX 1 and work FT8.

In an attempt to fix this audio output issue I uninstalled Flex 2.6.2 and re-installed per the instructions in various threads on these forums. Unfortunately, this process has made matters worse and now the DAX driver errors do not allow connection to any Windows output devices including WSJT-X.

So, I went deeper and uninstalled again, this time deleting all hidden device drivers - of which there must have been over 100 instances of the various DAX Audio RX1...8 and DAX IQ1...8, etc. I even eliminated the VSP ports, and as many other traces of the Flex install that I could find. Rebooted and again re-installed the Flex 2.6.2, same problems as can be seen below...

By the way, just to ensure Windows is fine and not damaged I have also run the image repair tools
     - DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth   followed by  - sfc /scannow  with no errors or problems reported. Otherwise the computer is operating perfectly fine. This is some kind of DAX driver error that has not been able to be resolved. 

At this point I am now beginning to get frustrated. So, what to do next guys? Is there stuff in the registry that's causing a problem with re-installs?

Thanks for any help & 73 all,
    Bud Hennessy AE6BH 

• W7CHW
    W7CHW Member ✭✭

Bud

Did you ever solve this issue? I’m having a similar issue with ver 2.8 and Win10. My iPad works fine.

Charlie W3CHW

• Hi Charlie,
    I did resolve the issue and everything has worked fine since then. Unfortunately, I cannot recall what exactly I changed that made everything work again. I suspect that like others I completely uninstalled SmartSDR and started over from scratch. I just looked in my email here from that time and see no other correspondence with Flex or others on the issue. That said, I've not installed v2.8 at this time and am still running 2.7.6. Since I'm busy for the next couple of weeks, I reckon I'll postpone this update until the dust has settled on the new release. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!
    73 - Bud AE6BH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.