Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Creative t10 speakers - good? bad? ugly?

KD0RC
KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I want to get a set of 12 V powered speakers for my FlexiCraft 6400/KPA500, and understand that the newer Bose Companion 2 Series III generates RFI, even when powered by a linear supply (i.e. the electronics in the speaker itself are the problem). I see that Creative has a T10 model that is 12VDC powered for around $42. Has anyone tried them? Do they sound OK? Do they generate RFI? Are they susceptible to RFI? Thanks & 73, Len, KD0RC

Answers

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I followed this exact same journey Len ,and I have 3 sets of Creative T10s. One on my Flex and two other sets on Desktop PCs in my office. You can't go wrong with this choice.
  • KD0RC
    edited May 2020
    Thanks Danny, I appreciate the input.
    Len
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bose Companion 2 was highly recomended in the Community when i bought mine. Severe RFI - ferrites, linear DC supply, still RFI.  I will look at those Creative T10 as well. Tnx Danny!
  • Preston Mclaggan
    edited May 2020
    creative mms 30 is what iv got no problem de g4mla
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Johan, I bought two sets of  Bose Companion 2s thinking the first one was defective, but they were both the same.
  • Hector XE2K
    Hector XE2K Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi,  I can't add comments to the T10 Speakers but will look on those, but I have the the Bose 2 and  I do not see the RFI mentioned, I'm very interested to know what RFI I must have using this speakers, will appreciate the input
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Seems like the age, or date of mfg, decides if the Bose Companion 2 gives you RFI or not. I'll tell you from my experience, if you have RFI - you will sure notice!

• F M
    F M Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I don't have any problems with the Bose Companion 20.
  • Rusty Jones
    Rusty Jones Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The current Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers radiate noise from the internal signal processing .  The Series II did not. I just replaced an old failing series II pair prior to getting my 6600M and Best Buy now has an open box return to show for the Series III. The T10s seem to be clean as does Mackie and Edifer bookshelf speakers/monitors from reports  across several boards. Your mileage may vary. I ended up with the Edifer brand for the Flex and so far so good... DE K4SAA
  • Rusty Jones
    Rusty Jones Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The current Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers radiate noise from the internal signal processing .  The Series II did not. I just replaced an old failing series II pair prior to getting my 6600M and Best Buy now has an open box return to show for the Series III. The T10s seem to be clean as does Mackie and Edifer bookshelf speakers/monitors from reports  across several boards. Your mileage may vary. I ended up with the Edifer brand for the Flex and so far so good... DE K4SAA
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I was lucky and found a pair of near mint condition Advent speakers at a garage sale for $20.00 They sound great and are fully shielded. I run mine off of my 13.8 volt DC power supply. Makes my Flex and other radios sound great... These do show up on eBay for $150.00 sometimes. They do take a special AC power cord, so hopefully they come with a power cord and have been fully tested, etc. etc. when buying used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Advent-AV-570-Powered-Partners/164052232592?epid=66801430&hash=item2632466990:g:ewIAAOSwfzJeIT8f

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005LACB/?tag=whois03-20

RSL
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I have both the Bose Series II and III (Companion 2) powered speakers and they both sound the same. Can't detect any noise coming out of the new ones  and I like the all black color of them vs. the gray of the Series II. But both are excellent, with a convenient headphones jack on the front. 
  • KD0RC
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for all the input.  So far they sound like a good buy.  Has anyone tried them and had problems?

Len
  • Hector XE2K
    Hector XE2K Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thank you for the info, will remove the wallwart from the Bose 2 and will use the same PS than the radio with some ferrites just in case for testing and final installation and I will like to try one of those Edifier R1280DB , for the 6600 or the computer, no risk with amazon if I do not like it de XE2K/AD6D
  • KD0RC
    edited June 2020
    Well, I got the Creative T10 speakers from Amazon for $44 with tax and free shipping.  They came in two days!  They sound great.  I have no ferrites on them at all, and with 500 W, no RFI on any band 160 - 6. With my old LabTec speakers, I had to put a bunch of ferrites on to **** the RFI, even at 100 W.  I haven't done an extensive search, but so far I don't see any noise from the wall wart power supply polluting my receiver.  I plan on taking these speakers into the field this weekend for FD.  I did not expect to get them in time, so this is a real bonus!  I will power them from the same 5th wheel 12 V supply that I power the 6400 from.  It will be nice to not need a separate voltage for them.  Thanks to all who replied, you steered me into the right speakers for me!
    Len, KD0RC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.