Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex NB really needs improvement 6400

KL4QG
KL4QG Member ✭✭
Flex NB really needs improvement

Comments

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Any thoughts or ideas

Joe 
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    STRANGE!!! A very well engineered NB and DNR functions in the Flex... Now a lot will depend on what the source of the Noise is,,,

But the proper way to activate these is not to turn them on and then slide the bar up and down!!! You should set the NB or DNR to about 50%, mid range, then turn it on! This allows the SDR Algorithm to figure out what it want to do with the interference.. I have played with these for many months and in "Most Cases" they are very effective.. It is all about noise reduction with Minimum audio distortion.

My Yaesu FT-991 has a DNR that is almost worthless due to Audio Distortion. You cant set it more then at the number 1 setting, any more and the audio is wiped out.. When the radio first hit the market, you could go up to 6 before audio distortion, but after the 3 rd software upgrade it went to 1.. Every One complained to Yaesu about this, but Yaesu never fix the problem. I was at HRO back in February and checked a upgraded FT-991"A" version and same issue with the DNR. Every radio has something to complain about..

Try my recommendation, actually that is a Flex Recommendation..

Robert
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I agree with you on  Yaesu FT-991  I had one,Ten Tec OMNI VII was no better,

I agree about how you set Flex NB or DNR its not as aggressive as other company's.

I like see a better noise reduction or removal of Plasma TV type noise and elect pole transformer noise.

Joe  . 
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I had to contact my local SDGE company to fix a power pole issues where the lines went from overhead to underground. I took pictures with my Fluke Thermal Imaging camera, and sent them the pictures showing the ARC.. They responded in 2 days and replaced some 15 year old wire and connection points, that was 2 years ago and it has been clean ever since. It might have been a combination of the Picture of the Arcing, or the part about starting a fire and being liable for the damage to the house in close proximity... :-)
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Alaska in most small villages the  Ham operator not helped your on your own,we have local people running  generators mAKE ELECT  it hard even get them come work everyday.
    • Sitka island worse place 6-8 S units noise on 75/80 plus large marinas with bad  noisy  humming transformers plus boats giving off noise.Only time its normal when there a power outage.That got point their  only one HF operator Mike AL6G he trys to check into nets most time he has run his boat 3 miles off shore check in.His Codan Envoy does best he  with nice  NB/NR but  other radios dont touch the noise.      
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I can understand this 100%. I watch every show related to Alaska on Discovery and the History channel.. All the GOLD shows, Alaska state troopers, bearing sea gold, Gold Rush, Deadliest Catch.... etc. etc... A very interesting state and people for sure!!! Hope things improve for you!!

Robert
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Trust me its not going improve Ak ham radio dying like crazy here u go ham club meeting it like Looking -At The Walking Dead TV show-Im 64 second youngest even know they said ham growing not up here,

I been up here training many villages,Kodiak Coast Guard also ADEC drining water Reg and running public water systems ,,I am retiring Sept 31 moving back Annapolis MD setup my sailboat HF radio like my sailboat in Kodiak I am selling soon.

The only real show up here was- Tougher In Alaska- not scripted just real they exposed too much truth Ak after 10 shows lost TV time -Drinking -Natives (Indians) Out of control with normal day life  ,,,    

They made ham radio to easy ,no tuning a load and plate fixing it yourself,Its now push buttons and watch everything start to break down because all dependence on computers running everything.People are getting controlling like a computer .   

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.