Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Microphone for PC when remote

Phil N3ZP
Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭
I will be using my HP laptop for remote operation. It's been fine for FT4 and FT8 but I'd like to do some SSB also. I tested a set of cell phone ear buds, Bluetooth audiophile headphones and a wired pair of audio headphones and all of them seem to need the mic gain set almost to max to show much movement on the dB scale. I tried various equalizer settings and also use the + 20dB mic setting. I use a set of Radiosport headphones for my 6400 and they work very well. I am considering getting the Radiosport RS55SL lightweight headset to use with the laptop. Anyone using them with a PC that can comment on them? I don't have any other cellphone or other headsets to try and don't want to buy another set of cellphone earbuds or pc headset that my not work any better than mine.

Thanks,

Phil
N3ZP

Best Answer

• Phil N3ZP
    Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓
    I haven't tried using the laptop mic. I also have an iPad. I may have to give the internal miss a try.

Thanks,

Phil N3ZP

Answers

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Phil

The Radiosport set have worked well for me. Lately I have found (from using Zoom and Teams in the lockdown) that muyBose Q35IIs work very well using the iOS app on the iPad and with windows (although you do have to play with the equalizer settings).

Tim VE6SH
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Hi Phil, Amazingly, I got very good audio reports from my laptop built-in mic as well as from my cell phone.  I did build a mic profile for each.  I know you are looking for a good headset, but if you set up a profile for the laptop mic, you will have a way to operate if the headset fails or gets forgotten.
    Len, KD0RC
  • Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Phil
    I use a PC, Maestro or Ipad  when operating remote. The same mic is used for all. Mic used is  a Heil Proset 4 headset with HC6 element.

Using the PC Remote I use a USB Sound card  that is slightly larger than a standard USB A connector.
    The 2 pin (Heil) mic connector inserts into a 3 pin to 2 pin adapter then is inserted into the USB sound card Mic input. The  (Heil) headset cable  to USB sound card  uses a standard 3.5 mm stereo plug input. Email me ,good on QRZ for pictures info etc for more info.

Noise gating for the PC. I use Noise Gator software to act like the DEXP on Smart SDR
    The noise threshold can be set to eliminate ambient noise in the area that your doing your transmitting.  Eliminating things like a dog bark this won't do but for most areas it really helps.

For the I pad I have a split cable adapter plug for the Heil Headset Mic and headphone inputs.
    Operating the IPAD- Connect the Ipad to Smart link or local Flex on the network press menu Icon on left top select audio and Adjust Mic Threshold or use DEXP available with SSDR for Ipad to eliminate ambient noise. 

I get great audio reports using either Ipad or PC running remote. I then save a profile for PC remote and Ipad remote so it's easy to change over  regardless of what client I'm using.
    Bob

• John Konrad
    John Konrad Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I do a lot of audio video work and the problem is that nearly all consumer headsets have excellent headphones and really bad mics so buying another headset is not a good option. I have two setups. SETUP 1 (easy, low cost): A Rode smartLav+ which is clipped onto Sony MDR7506 headphones... both plugged into a Sabrent USB audio adapter. SETUP 2 (expensive, steep learning curve, pro quality sound): Sound Devices MixPre-3 Audio Interface Shure SM7B Vocal Dynamic Microphone There are many options in between but I believe it’s important to have a separate mic and not use a headphone with a mic built in.
  • Phil N3ZP
    Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a Sabrent external sound card so that would allow me to use a headphone with a separate mic. I'll experiment a bit more before I make a big expenditure .

Phil N3ZP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.