Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why does my logger follow last turned freq dial instead of active transmitter?

Options
James Charlton
James Charlton Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am using a 6600m with an N3FJP logger.  The radio is running V3.1.12.51.  The radio and the logging PC are hardwired to my router with Cat5 cables.  I also have an  amp and two antenna switches that connect to the radio via three USB cables.

In normal operation with only slice A active, the logger displays the selected frequency.  If only slice B is active, the logger displays that frequency.  It's when I have both slices on the radio's screen that something strange happens.

In that case, the logger shows the frequency selected by the last knob touched, regardless of which TX button is red,  For example, let's say slice A is on 20m and it's TX button is red(selected) and slice B is on 40m and its TX button is white (not selected).  Also, let's say that the logger is displaying slice As frequency.  If I ever so slightly turn the Slice B tuning knob, the logger immediately displays the Slice B frequency even though that TX button is not red.

Turning the slice A tuning knob will cause the logger to immediately display the Slice A frequency.  The amp and antenna switches don't follow the logger frequency, they follow the TX buttons only.

I don't know when this started,maybe it has been this way since I got the radio.  It may even be a feature(?).  Anyway, I suspect it is related to the CAT configuration which I know nothing about because that part worked when I first plugged the radio in.

On the radio, looking at the menu/usb cables window shows three USB cables and no CAT cables.
Opening that little SmartSDR CAT v3.1.12 program shows a number of CAT connections all indicating slice A and several different COMs.  The N3FJP logger is using its FLEX api with com5 selected.

Is there some configuration or settings that can make the logger display the TX frequency and not that of the last knob turned?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Jim  AD0AB 

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I am not familiar with N2FJP logger but it sounds like the logger API is following the active slice instead of either transmit slice or a dedicated slice.

With Ham Radio Deluxe I have COM 9 defined in SmartSDR CAT and it is set to slice A. HRD and HRD Logbook tracks only slice A.

Your issue sounds like it is going to be a setting or the API on the logging program is not set up correctly. Look at N3FJP and see if you can define what the logger tracks via API.

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Here's right from the author's web site -

"Flex Radio (via API)
    Rig Name = Flex API

Note, no other settings are required with the Flex API option. With this option, my software will track the active slice."

So, whatever slice you make any change to the frequency info is sent to the logger. I would suggest emailing the author and ask that he add an option for the API to track the TX slice instead of active slice.

Dave wo2x

• James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thank you very much!  I'll try that,
    Jim  AD0AB
  • VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hey James good morning. I am running just the 6400M with AcLog but on the rig interface on the the bottom left is were you set up for two rigs. Not sure how that works with different slices on the same radio but did have it set up for my Flex and Kenwood. Give it a try.

Gary VE3DZP
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Gary,
    Thanks, I'll try that.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Do you have a CAT (COM#) for Slice B, Slice C, etc?
  • VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    James this might work as well. You will have to run "2" instances of AcLog. Give slices "A"and "B" there own com port.
    Fire up your Flex then the AcLogs.I think you know where I am going. The only thing is at the end of the day you will have to merge the two logs into one.
    **** ya got nothing to lose.

Gary VE3DZP
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I am working on a hardware solution which might fit the bill.

I have ordered an FTDI NMC null modem USB A male to USB A male cable. This would connect from the back of the radio to the logging PC. 

On the radio side set up the cable for CAT and follow TX slice. Set baud to 9600 and enable auto report.

On the PC side check Device Manager to see the COM port number the cable creates. Set up the logging program as Flex Radio 6000 series (depending on logging program) and select the COM port number created by the cable. Now frequency info from the radios slice set to TX will be sent to the logging program.

I have ordered one of the cables from Amazon and will have it Tuesday to test.

For those that don't have any free USB ports on the radio you can use a USB 2.0 hub to expand the number of USB ports on the radio.

Dave wo2x

• James Charlton
    Options

Hi All,

I reposted this same question because I know quite a bit about the problem now.

As far as I can tell, the problem is with N3FJP. Scott Davis is very responsive, but he says that the FLEX API rig interface for his ACL Logger uses the Flex DLL and his logger takes whatever the DLL sends it. According to Scott, the DLL must be changed to send the Transmit slice freq, not the active slice.

I am not sure that he is correct. That's why I re-asked the question to see if anyone has the N3FJP logger working correctly.

There is a second rig interface in the N3FJP logger called Flex Radio. It can be set up to log the transmit frequency properly, but the DX spotter interaction with the radio is lost. The DX spotter interaction depends on the API.

Right now, unless someone has a magic solution to the problem I can configure the logger to correctly log the frequency of the transmit slice but not have DX spotter connection to the radio or, I can have good DX spotter interaction, but risk logging the incorrect transmit frequency. Of course, the third choice is to use a different logger.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jim Charlton AD0AB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.