Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Locking Antenna Tuner in ByPass on Flex 6600M ?

Al Dewey
Al Dewey Member ✭✭
With my Flex 6600M, I sometimes turn on my KPA500 amp with the KAT 500 Antenna Tuner. When doing so, I want my 6600M Antenna Tuner in Bypass so I can use the KAT500 tuner including the settings it saves for each band.  I know I can put the Flex 6600M in Bypass by just holding the ATU down for a second or two until the button goes white.  That works fine.  The problem is that , every time I change bands , the ATU button on the Flex goes green again and I have to press it again to put it back in Bypass. 

Ideally, I would like to do this by Slice so that if I switch to another slice , the ATU is not bypassed on that slice.  This is because I do not have an external amp / antenna tuner on the second slice so want to use the Flex ATU on that slice.

I thought I might be able to do with profile some way but it appears that ATU Bypass status is not something I can save in a profile.

With SO2R operation during a contest, I change bands and slices a lot.  Worrying about whether the ATU button is set correctly is a real problem for me.

Is it possible to do what I want to do?

AL, K0AD

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Hi Al, I don't have a Flex ATU, but I do have the KPA500/KAT500 combo. The KAT500 works great with or without the amp so it might be easiest to just remove the Flex ATU, leaving all tuning up to the KAT500. I also use DDUtil to help manage exciter power by band. If you don't have that, you might want to take a look at it. I have the KAT500 plugged in to the computer, not the Flex. DDUtil takes care of passing frequency info to the tuner so that it keeps up with the radio. 73, Len, KD0RC
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    AL, is your tuner tuning without you asking it to tune? or without doing anything? Going out of stand by and just start tuning by itself? If it is, you need to clear the tune memories. And just leave it stand bye after that.
  • Al Dewey
    Al Dewey Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bill, thank you so much.  That seems to do the trick for me.  I found where to clear the tune memories in SmartSDR.  Is there a way to clear tune memories from the panel on the 6600M?  I very rarely use the SmartSDR software especially in contests.  Just curious.  I can live with the SmartSDR solution but it would be slick if I could do this some way from the 6600M panel.

Al, K0AD
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Glad it helps, now it won't tune unless you make it tune. I don't have the M model radio, but I am sure you can, I'm just not sure how you do it. It should say in the manual.
  • Neil Friedman
    Neil Friedman Member
    edited May 2020
    From the 6600M online manual:

To clear the ATU memories, tap and hold the ATU MEM button until the Clear ATU Memories option appears, as shown below.  Tap the option to clear the memories.

• Al Dewey
    Al Dewey Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bill - Yep found it on the TX Menu on the 6600M front Panel.  Thanks again.  All is well for now.

Al, K0AD
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Al I run the internal 6600 tuner into my amp. It there a problem with that. Bill
  • Al Dewey
    Al Dewey Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Although some will debate this, I have always believed the only antenna tuner should be the one between the final RF output device (either the radio or the amplifier) and the antenna.  In my case, I have a KAT500 antenna tuner between my KPA500 and the antennas.  

There is a warning in bold letters in the KAT500 manual that says "IF YOUR TRANSCEIVER OR AMPLIFIER HAS A BUILT IN ATU, be sure it is in bypass before attempting to use the KAT500.

Having said that, if I am running the 6600M barefoot (i.e. with the KPA500 off), I sometimes put the KAT500 in Bypass mode, and use the internal 6600M tuner.

Al, K0AD
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Regardless of what xcvr you're running - always turn off the rig's built in ATU if you are running an amp. The ATU should be located downstream from the amplifier so as to provide the best impedance match to the amp. 
    Bob K3AC

• Keith WA0BEU
    Keith WA0BEU Member ✭✭

Great discussions and comments!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.