Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 5000a Questions

2»

Comments

• Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I just pulled my firewire cable, it has 3 pins in the connector
  • Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I must have a 4 pin card
  • Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I just googled it, it is 4 Pins
  • Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hey, does anyone know if the Flex  5000a radios use Firewire 400 or Firewire 800 ?

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    uses a 400, so you need a 6 pin to 4 pin cable?
  • JohnK2CIB
    JohnK2CIB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    400 only
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Chris - ideally you want to use a PC with a IEEE-1394a ( 400 Mbps) port (looks like a USB jack but with a 'peaked roof' design at one end (like a narrow rectangle with a peak on one end) . You then get an IEEE 1394a cable that mates with the jack and the 1394a jack on back of the 5000 to connect the PC to the 5000. Not many PC's come supplied with 1394a Firewire ports  anymore (having been replaced by USB ports almost exclusively), but I had an older desktop (HP) that did have one and it worked fine, after I eventually got a Firewire card with the TI chip on it (the cheap firewire cards with generic chips caused a lot of freeze ups that drove me nuts).
    Bob K3AC
  • Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes, the HP Z420 Computer I am using has a built in Firewire Card. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    and I think you said that built in card is a 4 pin? the Flex has 6 pin
  • Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bill, I THOUGHT my Card only had a 6 Pin, but it has BOTH! 
    Like I said, this HP Z420 computer has a built in Firewire card. with 2- 4 Pin Connections, front and back of the computer.
    The ham who sold me the Flex 5000a included a Firewire card, so I installed it.
    I tried hooking that card up, but it didnt seem to fit my 4 Pin Firewire Cable, so I have been using the built in card.
    Well, today, I looked up the card, to see what kind of Port it has, to order a shorter Firewire Cable, and guess what ?
    This card has 3 Ports, 2- 6 pin, and one 4 Pin!!!!!
    So, about 2 hours ago, I have had it hooked up to this Card.
    LOL, it is called a GodShark Card, and windows 10 calls it a Texas Instruments Card.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Lol when they say  Texas Instruments, it is the chipset on the card, the 5000 needs that chipset for best performance. Ok then I guess your good to go now, you can buy a cable in either configuration. but i really suggest you get one,,it makes a big difference.
  • Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I have been running all day today, thanks to the TI Card!
    I still am getting RF in the long **** HEIL Mike Cables, forcing me to use a Yeasu Hand Mike, for now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.