Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

System crash

John Becker, K9MM
John Becker, K9MM Member ✭✭
This is in regard to my Flex 6600M running v2.61. Yesterday after unsuccessfully calling a station on 6M FT8 continuously for about 20 minutes, I stepped away for a moment to refill my coffee cup, and when I returned the SDR software had crashed. The power switch on the radio was flashing green and the screen said Please Wait. After a few minutes, the spinning wheel was running on the bottom of the screen. There was a message, but before I could read it the screen went blank and the power switch started flashing red. This continued for over an hour. A brief push of the power switch caused the radio to reboot and I was able to restart SDR and continue operating. This has never happened before and I'm wondering what caused it.

I know about the v2.62 update, but I have been running v2.61 for months with no previous problems and I am very hesitant to do the update until there have been a few more weeks of successful user experiences with it.

John, K9MM

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Without up dating your radio, you run a real possibility of corrupting the SD card in your radio. Then the radio can not be used till the card is replaced. Up grade, there is no down side to it.

A software crash can happen anytime to anyone, It is usually caused by a disconnect to the network.
  • John Becker, K9MM
    edited May 2020
    I hear you, but I'm still hesitant to do the upgrade for awhile. Why have SD cards suddenly started being corrupted after several years of experience with the 6000 series radios with no such issue?
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Auto save profiles causing the corruption?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    There were changes made in the coding that Flex planes to go forward with, but the change inadvertently effected how the card is writen to during shut down. More and more people became effected by this, and with much testing Flex could cause the cards to fail in the shop. a critical fix need to be done to correct that. This took some time to track down and test.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Flex has a couple different category's of Fixes. one is a critical fix, meaning something that will cause the radio to stop working. the second one is a fix that is not critical but are generally annoying, and they will not effect weather or not the radio works.

This last update was in the critical category. If that is the case, it is strongly advisable to up grade to protect the radio.
  • John Becker, K9MM
    edited May 2020
    Radio and SDR software now updated to v2.62 with no problem.

Regarding the crash I had yesterday, if that was caused by a disconnect from the network, why did the radio attempt to re-boot, and why did it hang instead of completing?
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Could Be but we will never know for sure.

But since this issue has to do with saving and writing to the SD card it is a reasonable guess.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.