Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X, JTAlert, Log4OM v2

G4IUA
G4IUA Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in Third-Party Software

I’m setting up a new installation of SmartSDR 3.1.11  – WSJT-X – JTAlert – Log4OM v2.  All latest release versions.

WSJT-X and JTAlert on their own work exactly as expected when selecting FlexRadio 6xxx as the radio in WSJT.  I have full control over the radio and WSJT reports frequency and I can select bands.  However I’ve now just set up Log4OM v2 and I’m having real issues.

I’m unsure about the use of OmniRig (v2.1).  The Log4OM documentation insists on using OmniRig, and in an earlier setup I know I used to use it successfully although with the earlier version v1.  However I just cannot get things to work at all now, and as soon as I select OmniRig2 in WSJT the radio reacts erratically, spontaneously going into TX and I have intermittent control using the WSJT-X Test CAT button.  Then OmniRig reports ‘Rig Failure.  Rig is not responding’. Sometimes it shuts down WSJT and it requires a reboot to start it again.  Note that this is on a brand new ‘clean’ installation of W10.

It seems when selecting FlexRadio 6xxx, WSJT has all the data and control it needs (frequency, PTT, ADIF) and communicates that to JTAlert and presumably should to Log4OM as well.  I don’t understand why OmniRig is involved at all but I see that others have managed so I’m even more baffled.   I’m definitely out of my comfort zone in this area and would appreciate advice from others using this configuration. 

Jeff – G4IUA

Answers

• Ross Slater
    Ross Slater Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I use version 1.19 of Omnirig and Log4OM with no problems. I don't think the newer versions work.  I have a comport setup in Flex with Smarts SDR as the rig. In Log4OM I use the same comport in my case it's com5.
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Jeff:

Good evening.  Omnirig is the software that LOG4OM uses to communicate with the radio.

Per the  Log4OM version 2  forum, LogOM V2 does not support OmniRig version 2 (reason is that there are errors in Omnirig V2).  Log4OM version 2 works for me using OMNIRIG version 1.19. 

The WSJT-x reporting interfaces to Log4OM V2 and works as described in the LogOM manual (UDP interface). 

Terry G4POP probably can help you with the set up.

Good luck  Gayle K0FLY
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Jeff:  I interface WSJT-X to the FLEX using net server TCP protocol not Omnirig.  I use OmniRig to interface LOGOM to the FLEX.

Gayle
  • G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks both.  I've reverted to v1.9 (although I had tried it originally) with OmniRig set for SmartSDR, WSJT-X to OmniRig Rig 1.  In SmartSDR CAT I have a serial port (Com4) and a PTT port (Com5).  The latter is showing as connected to OmniRig so I guess that's a good start.  The settings in OmniRig (baud rate etc.) are default.  In WSJT/PTT Method I've tried CAT and RTS (RTS the only place I can change the port).  Here port COM5 is selected.  

BTW does OmniRig need to be open?  Only when open does SmartCAT COM5 show as connected to OmniRig.  Academic at this point as nothing is working properly, but should PTT Method be set to CAT or RTS?

Jeff - G4IUA

• Ross Slater
    Ross Slater Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Jeff mine is setup like Gayle's TCP for wsjt and comport for Omnirig. Now this what I use.
  • G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    We're sort of there...I've selected the Flex in WSJT and JTAlert is reporting correctly.  Log4OM logs correctly with the callsign, frequency, report etc. but where it should show the frequency at the top left it displays 'offline'.  Odd as clearly Log4OM is aware of the frequency and band and correctly logs both. 
    It might be that I need to set up a Teamviewer session or something as with 5 apps involved it would be easy to make an error, as clearly I have done!

Jeff - G4IUA

• G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I think I've found the remaining problem: in Log4OM Hardware Config/CAT interface there's a box I hadn't ticked:  specifying Omnirig and Auto Start CAT.  As far as I can see everything is working properly now.  I just wish there was an easier way for all these apps to talk to each other.

Thanks folks for the input!  
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Jeff:

Glad you got it running.    Now just wait for Windows update to jump in and throw a wrench into the works. In case the proverbial wrench does appear and  while its fresh in your mind you might want to write down the setup instructions for the interfaces so that you don't have to relearn the settings.

Gayle K0FLY

• G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Good idea Gayle.  When I'm happy with a setup I take pictures of each relevant page or I screen-save them. It's all too easy for things to go wrong, inadvertently make changes, Windows 10 updates screwing up things, etc. 

Actually I do have a slight problem now (after things WERE working!).  Logging correctly, Log4OM is now showing frequency, etc. but JTAlert stopped displaying.  Interesting as the title bar shows the mode, band, identifies Log4OMv2 but - sadly - no callsigns.  I've been thru the Log4OM setup time and time again but no success so I've posted the issue in the Log4OM forum.  It's one of those things: with so many apps sharing comms between them it's difficult for a novice to work out where the problem lies.  Any immediate ideas?
  • G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    All sorted!  At the suggestion of Terry (who very diligently runs the Log4OM forum) I reset the JTAlert filter settings to default and now all is well.  In customising it I must have inadvertently deselected the 'show continent decodes'!  A silly mistake on my part and in retrospect I'm not sure why I did it!   An easy solution in the end.  I do wish JTAlert could save versions to enable reverting to an earlier, working one.  Log4OM and WSJT-X offer this and it's something I'll suggest on the JTAlert forum.  

I'm grateful all the help and suggestions offered and I've learnt that I should take close note when making changes to avoid inadvertently messing things up!

BTW, I've heard different suggestions regarding having to run these apps in administrator mode.  I'll experiment but I doubt that it's necessary?  It seems OmniRig (at least v1.9) is different though and has to run in admin mode.  Is this what others are doing?

Thanks again for all the input.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.