Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro control drag

Jim
Jim Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in Maestro

Im loving my Flex 6400 and Maestro, except for one detail. All of the knobs are extremely loose. By that I mean there is little or no drag or friction when operating the controls making it really east to inadvertently bump the knobs thereby changing settings. Is there any way to increase the drag on the controls? 

Best Answer

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Hi Jim, I don't think there is an adjustment.  One thing manufacturers used to do in the old days was to put a thick felt pad behind the controls.  If it is thick enough, (but not so thick that it puts strain on the control) it will induce drag. It would take some experimentation, but could probably be made to work.  The controls on the Flex are encoders, not potentiometers, so care has to be taken not to push or pull them too much in the quest for the right amount of drag.

Len, KD0RC
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    these are encoders that are simulating **** behavior.. you may be able to get creative with felt or other solutions.. but it sort of is what it is..  if you come up with a good solution to add some drag either with felt or whatever to give a more legacy radio feel.. please share.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    As Chris mentioned, there are felt washers that you can insert behind the dial. then when you put the dial back on adjust it against the washer.
  • Jim
    Jim Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Thanks for the reply.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Source for vintage radio knob felt washers if you did not want to make your own.  I suspect the knob shafts are not long enough to support very much thickness of felt behind the knob.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/washer-025-inside-diameter-felt

and in Canada

https://www.radiodaze.com/search.php?search_query=felt
  • Jim
    Jim Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Thanks, John.  I ordered some and will try it out.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.