Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PG-XL v3.4.10 update

KF4HR
KF4HR Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
It's great to see a firmware update for the PG-XL has come out, especially considering everything that's going on with the COVID situation.  

I'm curious how other PG-XL owners are seeing the improved front panel meter accuracy in the SSB mode.  In my case (using a Palstar DL-5K Dummy load and ATU in Bypass), 1460w PEP indicated on my LP-700 Digital Station Monitor, indicates ~1200 PEP on the display of the PG-XL and in the PG-XL Utility window, and ~500-600w on the SmartSDR display (which I assume must still be reading Average Power).  Compared to the previous PG-XL firmware version, a marked improvement. 

(Tim, thanks for reminding me the PG-XL Firmware Update instructions are on page 37 of the PG-XL Manual.)
1 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Readings seem of similar accuracy to the S meter.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2020
    You're welcome.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thank you for update,I did few test and happy to see a much better Power reading.

One question to Tim - is there any plans to show on Windows utility Meffa status (On or Off) ?
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2020
    Good question.  I'll add that to the feature request list.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thank you
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I've seen a marked improvement in the watts reading on the PGXL vs my LP-100A.  It's now within 50w.  Looks like the fan algorithm is more aggressive too, which is a good thing. 
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Agreed the meter is more accurate now.

Ian
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I got around to upgrading my PGXL and compared to my LP700 it shows 1/2 or less and never goes above 700w while the LP700 is reading legal limit. And the one on the computer shows barely any movement at all. I just got my amp this week so maybe I am missing a setting or something. But honestly it is like I never did the update but sure enough it shows the new firmware number listed on the screen on the amp and everything appeared to go without a hitch upgrading. It did restart itself aftenr the update but after seeing no change in the meter on power out I shut the amp clear off, removed the power completely, powered it back up and no change.  Let me edit my posting here now after using the SmartSDR display on the computer it appears it is pretty much useless. SWR when receiving shows a 3.5 or above and when transmitting doesn't change appears a dead short on this screen. Power output shows 0 everything is just bad info. I am wondering now if it is because I am running 2.60 perhaps. Again still the meter on the amp on power is showing half power or less than my LP700. The amp is performing great, following my radio on band changes, clicking on standby or OPR is perfect amp is operating with SmartSDR OK.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    You might want to compare your LP-700 and PG-XL PEP readings using a good dummy load.  As I mention above, my PG-XL shows about 260 watts PEP less than what my LP-700, but the PG-XL is reading much more accurately  than it was with the previous version software.  Even so, I still rely on my LP-700 for accuracy.  As for the PC (SSDR) reading my guess is Flex will probably need a software fix for this PG-XL power meter.  Best I can tell the SSDR PG-XL screen is still reading average power. 

Perhaps eventually we'll see even more accurate readings, and maybe even an option to switch between Average and PEP readings, but I appreciate the improvement. 
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    as you can see the entire radio pane is completly wrong this is at idle and when I transmit there is no power out on the screen and swr drops down just a bit. only thing that is correct is the temp. It must be an issue with 2.60 firmware maybe
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    That is definitely not the way mine behaves.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    So your SWR reading sits at max when you're not transmitting?  I've never seen anything like that, and I'd be surprised if the problem is because you're not running v3 software. 

I'd be tempted to start from scratch and reinstall all the software, then if nothing changes I would suspect faulty SWR sensor hardware.  Probably best to  submit a Trouble Report to Flex.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    OK I did re-install the FW upgrade again and now that has cleared the pinned SWR on SSDR screen back to normal.Now when transmitting it does show correct swr and temp but still not reading FWD Power on the ssdr radio panel. Maybe shows 20w FWD and that is it. So I guess your suggestion was a great help now to get the fwd power to work. Maybe it just won't and it's not work pep on the amp itself but just shows like RMS or bird watts no pep. The LP700 is show the correct watts a Bird with a pep kit is showing correct and a palstar tuner with pep meter is showing correct or all are within a few watts of each other.

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Doug make sure you're reading your forward power from the correct fwd power level meter, with your PG-XL turned on you should see two power meters, one for the Flex (0-120w), and above that another Fwd Pwr meter for the Amp (0-2kw). 

In my case, (using a dummy load), 31 watts of drive provided about 1400 watts PEP on the LP-700, the power meter on my PG-XL was peaking about 1100-1200 watts, and the SSDR PG-XL meter was reading 450-550 watts (average power). 

Interesting too, as I began this test I was able to replicate your max'ed out SWR reading on my SSDR screen, and I got an error message on the PC screen indicating my PG-XL had an Interrupt error.  But then I cycled the power on my PG-XL and the SWR meter began reading normally again.  I'll  have to keep my eye on this!  I've never seen this happen before.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    OK yes we are on the same page about the two meters and the top is the Amp. My top meter just doesn't show any power out and of course no SWR because there isn't any. The meter for the radio is showing ssb or tune spot on. The temp is the only meter in the PG-XL panel that has a reading on SSB. However on a tune with the radio set to 10w the same meter shows 490w out and my LP700 is almost the same so the problem is only on ssb. And same on the meter face on the amp itself showing 500w on tune carrier. So it looks like the SSDR is just not fast enough to catch it. On ssb on the meter on the amp it is about 1/2 or even maybe 60-65% less than the LP700. But the LP700 is such a fast meter the amp meter may never catch up to it. I am not going to concern myself now that I have that 3.5 swr dead short reading on the SSDR cleared.

Again thanks for all the information and help the bottom line after owning this Power Genius XL for only 6 days is it is the real deal IMHO. And the type of operating I do I don't ever think I will even scratch the surface of what this bad boy is capable of !!
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The filter box fan algorithm changed, the primary heat sink fan algorithm remains the same.  At the request of the hardware engineers, the filter box fan ramps up in speed according to the temperature of the harmonic load heatsink, the band, and the amount of key down time.  The fan will be at full speed after an accumulated 30 seconds of keydown time on some bands, and will be at full speed after 120 seconds on other bands.
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Has anyone noticed a reduction in SWR that the PGXL will tolerate?  Prior to the latest update I could run into a 3 - 1 SWR, albeit with fold back.  Now the amp flashes HI SWR and drops offline when I exceed 2 - 1.  

How do I revert to the previous firmware version?  I do not see it in the downloads section, just the current version.

Keith - AC9S
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2020
    Keith, you need to open a HelpDesk ticket to address this concern.  We do not recommend reverting to older firmware.  The new changes are designed to protect your amp from possible damage.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    There has been no reduction in the tolerated SWR, however some amps may need some internal adjustment to work correctly with some antennas.  The Help Desk has all of the tools and procedures to make these changes.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2020
    It amazes me that you spend over 6k for an amp and it needs special adjustments to work with certain antennas. All my previous and current amps just work with any antenna I've owned. What's up with that. So now delete this post like you did with my other posts.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    There's always the possibility that a PG-XL has issues and needs to be returned for repair.  Then again, we never really know the full circumstances of these posts.  There could be all sorts of issues that aren't mentioned or even known by the user.  It's a safe bet there's plenty of circuitry in the PG-XL to protect itself from reactive anomalies.  All my HF antennas work fine with my PG-XL. 
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My issue presents on 80 meters. I can run full power in the lower SWR portions of the band, but as I approach the 2 - 1 limits the amp trips out.  It used to tolerate 3 - 1, albeit with fold back sometimes.  The SteppIR is good for full power everywhere on every band (40 - 6).  By the way, I use a DX engineering switch at the top of the tower and the feedline is a combination of 1/2" hardline and Davis RF.  Love the Davis product; the jacket is tougher than all get out.  I have opened a ticket.

Keith -  AC9S

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.