Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SDR 3.1.11 update Nice Work!

Mike VE3CKO
Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Was very surprised to see the update as I do a refresh several times a day to see updates in the community and when I saw SDR 3.1.11 thread from Tim 3 minutes old, I went and grabbed it, installed it on my computers, laptop and Maestro.

Congratulations for successfully releasing an update during these troubling times and hope to more as Texas and the people at Flexradio get back at work.

#J4900 Improved SmartLink Log In design for better visibility in Maestro and M models.
#J7741 Update improvements for increased SD Card stability
#J7790 Fixed memory form frequency rounding error with transverter bands
#J7482 Fixed SmartSDR for Windows hang when attempting to close while updating

I'd like to get more details on the J7790 fix and how it will affect 2m on my 6700.

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Pat, the only band I need an ATU on is 80 meters using a ZS6BKW optimized G5RV. I normally use the tuner in the amp but as a test I bypassed it and tested the internal tuner on my 6700. I use 20 watts for Tune power.

The lower end of 80 the SWR is higher. At 3.600 it is 2.7:1 and the internal tuner tuned it fine. I enabled memory on the tuner and tried it at various parts of the band and again tuned fine. I returned to 3.600 and the tuner was already set for the proper values before clicking the tune button in SmartSDR.

I think there are several factors in play. First, how high is the SWR and second what is the reactance? Capacitive or inductive? a 2.7:1 SWR on two different antennas will most likely not yield the same reactance and therefore one antenna may tune fine while another may exhibit problems trying to tune. My remote 6500 is using a Cobra Ultralite senior antenna with the internal tuner and a LOT of problems tuning on certain bands, but the SWR is 4:1 or higher so I do not expect it to have success. hopefully the antenna can get swapped out on that radio.

I believe the internal tuner memories are stored in the radio persistence database. You can reset the persistence database by following this article. It is possible there are tuner memories close in frequency that are not optimal for your current antenna.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200831185-How-to-Reset-the-Persistence-Database-for-a-FLEX-6000 

Dave wo2x

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    David,

It is not the antenna, coax, etc.. The ATU used to work back in 2.4.9 but does not work well now and rolling back to 2.4.9 is not an option because then you would be undoing any fixes applied in later releases.

My LDG 600 Pro II tunes with a single try every time. The Flex ATU takes many tries before a successful tune is accomplished if at all.

This issue is certainly not limited to me. The forum has many posts describing the same issue.

I've pretty much given up on it getting fixed. It's just sad that I have to resort to an external tuner when my 6700 has one built in.

Thanks for your suggestions.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2020
    Have you considered my suggestion to delete the persistence database and retrain the tuner?
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Several times I've completely removed SSDR from my computer and reinstalled per posted instructions yet the problem persists.

I have also experienced this on 2 different computers with fresh installs so unfortunately it is not the database.

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My ATU works fine when ever I need it which is basically never, then again I don't use POS antennas. When putting together my station I decided that I did not want to rely on any internal tuner on ANY radio that I may acquire. Also try to use only resonant antennas where and when possible. Anyone using compromised antennas should be prepared to use an external tuner if using an amplifier.

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My Hustler 6BTV Vertical is an outstanding antenna. With just 300 watts I've gotten:

280 countries , 1898 band points, 5BWAZ, 160WAZ, Digital WAZ, SSB WAZ, ARRL Triple Play, 10BDXCC (includes 60 meters), 10BWAS (includes 60 meters), 138 countries on 160, WAS Digital 160 - only need AK for 160 CW - and overall WAS on 17 different band/mode combinations.  Check out my QRZ page for specifics.

Not bad for a small $200 vertical and 300 watts that my LDG tunes on the first try every time.  It's a shame the Flex ATU cannot tune as well.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I see that you posted your LOTW totals on your QRZ page. I don't have mine on my page so here is a screen print so you can compare them.

Note that 107 QSO's on 60 meters are not included as ARRL does not include them in award totals.

Also absent are many QSL cards I have yet to submit to ARRL and 44 QSO's yet to be confirmed for a grand total of 1,898 band points.

Also please note that when I began I was using just 5 watts with a mobile antenna hence the N6PAT/M and N6PAT/QRP accounts listed.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2020
    Pat. 

Uninstalling and reinstalling does NOT reset the persistence database. It is stored in the radio. Read the article I sent a link to.

Since you run 300 watts you need to run an external tuner. You made it sound like you got the tuner because of issues with the internal tuner. You can’t use the internal tuner with an amp.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes, I do understand that you cannot use the ATU with an amp. I was referring to when I run without the amp which I do many times.

Regarding the database, as I said I have the same issue on different computers and many others have reported the same problem as well.

No need to continue with this as we've covered it pretty well. Thanks for the suggestions.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2020
    Actually there is one more thing. You can use 100 computers. The persistence database is stored in the radio and you need to follow the procedure to clear it. The tuner memories are stored in the persistence database, not in the PC.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Dave,

I have many times reset the radio back to factory specs to deal with other issues and the radio has been sent back to Flex twice  and they have reset it as well so I'm certain the database has been reset many times.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2020
    But if you import your profiles without unchecking the preferences then you just reload the tuner memories. Maybe a dumb question. Are you bypassing the LDG when testing the internal tuner? Some people try to use two tuners which two auto tuners At the same time will not work.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Dave,

I know how to import the profiles and how to start with a clean database.

Yes, I know you cannot use the ATU and an external tuner at the same time.

Thanks
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @DaveW2OX Pat is a Troll. His issues are mostly mythical and are designed to draw you out into **** arguments. He is looking for attention and not solutions. For some unknown reason Flex has made a business decision to allow Pat the Troll to continue to spew his vitriol The only way to respond to Pat the Troll is to ignore him and hope that he might crawl back under his bridge.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I understand there is something coming for V2 as well. That will be nice.
  • Charlie, WA3UTC
    Charlie, WA3UTC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Howard you are correct about Pat.  He needs to find another home, or even better buy a 7610 so he can troll elsewhere.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Update: Just got 4U1UN on 14.085 FT8 so the total is now 1,899

My little 6BTV rocks!
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Update: Just got 4U1UN on 14.085 FT8 so the total is now 1,899

My little 6BTV rocks!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for the heads up. They are tough for me to work on 20 since only 24 miles away. I got them. Already have them on 20, 40 and 6 SSB but now have them on digital.

Dave wo2x 
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Glad you got him.

I would really like to get him on 6 but I took my 6 meter antenna down last year. Maybe I'll put it back up this summer.

I do  have him on 40 SSB from the contest and now this one on 20 FT8.  Hoping to fill in more band slots
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @Bill
    Where did you get that information?
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Dave, he's on 7056 F/H now. Just got him. Good luck

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.