Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

windows 10 audio dax setting

Ernie
Ernie Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in DAX
Today I installed a Webcam that has a microphone. SmartSDR v3.1.8 seems to be working for FT8 as I can see received signals and TUNE transmits. But WSJT-X reports an input audio error. I believe the audio settings are set correctly. Windows 10 settings reports Defaults for DAX Input and Output - see picture. What are the DAX Input and Output settings?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2020
  • Ernie
    Ernie Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thank you Tim. In my message I was asking for the settings for the DAX Control Panel Output and Input in the picture - should they be default?. I will also double check the privacy settings. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2020
    The DAX levels should be 50%
  • Ernie
    Ernie Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    What am I saying wrong? In the picture in my message I am asking about the DAX Control Panel settings - what should the Output and Input boxes read? Default?

Thank you.
  • Ernie
    Ernie Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I do have WSJT-X running without an initial error, and receiving, but it will not transmit a message, and tune does not work. That is why I keep asking about the Windows settings.

Thank you.
  • Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin
    edited May 2020
    Leave the DAX Settings as Default, as well as your WSJT-X settings, because you configure these in WSJT-X Program's Settings, not in the Windows Sound application or Windows Settings.

Running the Flex and DAX is a bit different than using audio cables plugged into a Windows Sound Card.

But you must make sure that Windows has a default audio device plugged in to the computer, like a headset, speakers, or microphone so that the Windows Sound System will claim it as the Default Sound Device.  Otherwise, it will try to claim one of your DAX Devices as the Default Audio device, which is not allowed, and will cause errors.

• Ernie
    Ernie Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thank you Ken. I have not had a microphone plug into my computer before the Webcam I just installed. When I saw your message I set the microphone input to what I had before (I believe), instead of the Webcam one, even though a microphone was not attached. I turned off the computer, and when I started again WSJT-X seems to be working. 

I will be doing some more experimenting. The WSJT-X settings only appeared in the picture when I started the application,

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin
    edited May 2020
    1) As others have suggested, Check your Windows "Settings > Privacy > Microphone" settings to be sure you have enabled  the "Allow Apps to Use my Microphone" and "All Desktop Apps to use my Microphone" switches.  Windows upgrades often turn these off.

2) Check your SmartSDR   P/CW Panel in the Radio Control Panel to be sure your Transmit Low Cut and High Cut are set for 50 and 3100 respectively.

3) In the Phone sub-panel be sure that you have DAX enabled for the transmitter.

4) Be certain that you have DAX TX Streaming and DAX RC Streaming Channel 1 enabled in the DAX Control Panel (in the DAX App)

5) Be sure your Slice A is enabled as the Transmit Slice  (The red TX button is showing in the Slice Banner)

• Ernie
    Ernie Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thank you Ken for your responses, and useful information.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.