Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

GPS Antenna Wire Cut

Jim  KJ3P
Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
My landscaper accidentally cut through the (buried) GPS antenna wire (my fault for not telling him about it).  i carefully spliced and waterproofed it, but now GPS Status: Not Present.
Question: If the wire was cut, it may have briefly shorted the "phantom" DC power for the GPS.  Could this have done damage to the actual GPS module in my 6600?
I'm ordering another antenna just to sure.

Comments

• N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020

You should be able to check with a voltmeter
    on the connector. It should show 5 volts. If
    the voltage is present, that should be okay.
    Check the voltage before you order the antenna
    since if the voltage did disappear, then a new
    antenna would not fix anything.

73, Jim N9VC

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Off the the top of my head I think it a reasonable assumption you should be able to read +5vdc across the point you spliced.
    I seriously doubt it damaged the active antenna but very easily could have killed the 5 volt source in the radio.

If it is in fact dead an outboard GPSDO might be a cheaper replacement. That's what I am using.

73 and good luck
    Clay N9IO
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Jim I am apparently slower responding one finger on this cell phone. Sorry for the repeat OM.
    Clay
  • Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Jim, thanks for the idea of measuring for +5v at the GPS jack.  Shoulda thought of that myself....Duh-h!
    Got 5v!  Gonna order a new antenna.  Thanks again.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020

Replace the coax.  Splicing underground coax is problematical, especially at those frequencies.

Howard

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.