Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Old and need help! Slice master, WJST

Pat Hamp
Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Okay, have been trying to consolidate everything but V/Uhf on the 6300. I am running the latest  2.X and Slice master. All looks correct, as far as setup. I am receiving FT8 signals, waterfall is working showing activity, audio input level at 60 and the decode indicator flashes Blue at the end of the cycle but I get no decoded signals. TX, CAT everything looks good. The only odd thing I see is that SliceMaster tells WSJT that the radio is HRD? I tried changing the radio to Flex 6XXX and no change. When I run HRD the config is fine and working with one exception it shows a very low percentage audio in. I have tried a restart from scratch, loading everything in different orders and still no luck. I am just very frustrated and maybe I am overthinking it at this point?  Appreciate any suggestions.  Pat de KA4VNM

Comments

• Keith Mitchell
    Keith Mitchell Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I am not using your setup but if it shows audio is getting to WSJT-X at 60, then make sure your bandwidth filter is on DIGU for a 3K  input.  

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Pat, do you have a time synchronizer installed?  It sounds like you might just be off in time.   WSJT requires very precise time sync.

Install meinberg NTP if you have not.

• Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Yes I did, its is so strange, you get the decode button blue flash but no decoded traffic. Now all this being said I had the exact same thing happen with my FT-991 when trying to use USB for FT8 also. I have updated all the drivers again and the computer seems to be how it should be. That is part of why this is so baffling. I can use the Signalink via the mic jack and earphone and use my Surface Pro and it works perfectly. I am beginning to think the dell desktop is part of the problem. Like I said it is just baffling. I need the desk top to run twin monitors. I am almost at the point of installing two Lenovo M93's I have and have two keyboards and mice.
  • Dwayne_AB6A
    Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I am happy to do a zoom session with you to review. email me at nna6us@gmail.com if you would like?
  • EA4AYW
    EA4AYW Member
    edited May 2020
    Hi everyone, I recently installed this application to test it, and I subscribe to what the friend PAT says.
    I have correctly configured the wsjtx and everything works correctly, in the panadapter but the wsjt does not decode any signal.
    The date and time setting is newly synchronized.
    and the entry and exit is correct.
    but it doesn't decode anything in any of the slices
    However, if I tx it does it perfectly in any of the slices.
    any suggestions or you already know why.

The version I am using is the Z of the wsjt

• Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Its good to know I am not crazy! Just and FYI I am running WSJT-X also. The really weird part is that if I run it on my FT-991A through the mic and phone jacks, it works fine, if I do the same thing using the USB connection I get the same results as with the Flex....with both the desktop and the Surface Pro 2. The strangest part is I have time locked via the recommended software (TNX) and sometimes I get one line of decode and that's it. I have tried USB and DIGIU both with no luck. Now I did have a thought in sleep last night which may or may not be affecting things. The desktop has a second sound card in it which I used for my KX3 for the pan-adapter. I am going to pull it out today and see if that is messing with anything. And Gracias my friend. I was stationed at ROTA and yours was my favorite posting of all!
  • Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Let me see what others say for a bit and then I may take you up on that. Thanks for the offer.
    Pat
  • Steve Sterling
    Steve Sterling Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I don't know slice master, but in all the discussion above I don't see mention of DAX. Do you have slices and audio levels set right in DAX? Your symptoms sounds similar to when I don't have the correct slice and/or audio levels set up correct in DAX.
  • EA4AYW
    EA4AYW Member
    edited May 2020
    Hello again, If the dax is correctly configured for each slice and the slice Master is equally configured for each instance of the wsjtx that is started.
    and the configuration of the sound cards in the wsjtx is also correct.

• Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Good news! I started all over and deleted all the programs after removing the extra sound card, re-installed everything and after a clean shut down and restart IT WORKS! I also went back to Princeton and downloaded a fresh copy Of WSJT-X and now Slice master sees it and doesn't auto start anything else. That DM is separate and not running concurrent with WSJT. The real problem is I have no clue what actually fixed it but it works and that is all that counts. Thanks to all for offers of advice.
  • Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I think I spoke to soon, maybe. Receive is now good to go, decode working, I run 40 watts or less typically and noticed the 6300 is keying but the RF out is not at the specific wattage. Every other mode is working but when the MIC is set to FT8 I get only a tiny bit of indication on the RF power out, am I missing a setting? Almost there I think!
  • Dwayne_AB6A
    Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Yes - A slider in wsjtx should be at 100% Tweak DAX TX Slider up to before Red on the level meter.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Do you have the DAX input enabled for your audio source?  Its in the radio panel in Smart SDR

Do you have your slice mode set to DIGU?  That is what you should use as it will take the eq out of your audio being sent to WSJT
  • Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I had to turn up the slider on WSJT and DAX and now its working perfectly! I had already had the DAX button for the MIC already on which is what threw me. All is good now! Thanks to both of you for the guidance.

Pat
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Just another comment Pat...

For the DAX slice receive level, I adjust the DAX slider up until WSJT-X shows about 60% on its receive meter.

For TX the best thing I found is to watch the in SmartSDR which is just about the DAX button I showed in the image above.  I increase the DAX TX slider until the very tip of the level indication starts to turn pink.

I've found these result in the best levels both by getting good decodes and also by observing my signal on other SDRs.

Mark
  • Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I wanted to thank you for the offer. I did get everything up and running and its awesome. Now the real trick is remembering everything in case something goes sideways like this morning. I got a message in Slice that there wasn't a DAX stream associated with WSJT and found the even though the sidebar pull down siad there was one the pull down from the flag didn't. Once I set that everything resumed running. The only odd thing I have noticed with 2.6 and Slice is that the Antenna selections don't follow my bands anymore. There probably is a setting in 2.6 for this I will look for today. Thanks again for reaching out.
  • Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Update! Well guys, it has been a couple of weeks since my post. I thought I would report that the system is working perfectly. FT8 is a lot of fun and Slicemaster has made it easy and reliable. Thanks for everyone's help!

Pat
  • Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hey, wanted to thank you for the tips. I did fid the TX level audio level for me is right where it starts turn orange. I also found if you over drive it you can see an extra spike on the transmit waveform. I adjusted it to when that is just gone and it looks good. I am curious as to how much power everyone is running. I am running at 45 and getting 40 out on the scale which seems to be good. Oh, also bit the bullet and went to version 3. I do like the not having to kick myself off to use my IPAD in the other room when working. I have an extra computer I am going make it a remote so I can track band conditions whilst I work. 

Regards,

Pat

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.