Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR upgrades

Martin AA6E
Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am running SSDR V2 on a 6500. All is well. My question is about upgrades. I've held off on V3 because V3's main feature is MultiFlex, which is not very important for me. So what happens when V4 comes out? (Any year now...) If I want what V4 offers, will I need to get V3 first ($200) before installing V4? (Another $200) In a way, I hope the answer is yes, because FRS probably needs the cash to support ongoing development. On the other hand, my New England heritage argues against buying features that I don't need. On the third hand, it would be simpler to pay, say, $100 a year for software maintenance. (I'm getting used to "software as a service" like Quicken or Office 365.) Thanks for any enlightenment. Oh by the way, what IS on the menu for V4? 73 and good health Martin AA6E

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    We can  wait as long as we want to for upgrades. That means if you wait for V4 than everything added to SSDR is included from earlyer versions. I to have stayed at V2. But V3 is not finished yet. If they offer something that I can make good use of then I will jump on it. For us In Canada It would cost around $300.00 to upgrade because of the money difference.
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You only pay $200 for the upgrade to version 4.  No need to first pay for version 3.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Rick is correct. The upgrade will include all previous upgrades.

only need to pay for the one upgrade.

Dave wo2x
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I am also using Ver 2 with a free upgrade to Ver 3 if I wanted. So from this I gather that if and when a Ver 4 comes out it will be free for us in this situation.
    Andy--W3LI
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    SSDR major versions history

introduced current date major new feature

9/30/13 1.9.13 10/5/16 no further releases?
    3/15/18    2.6.1    10/4/19 SmartLink, Remote operation
    4/9/19     3.1.8    10/4/19 MultiFlex
    So you could say v1 is "finished" and "dead".  And it's now time for V4! (judging by V2 -> V3 dates)

What's not clear is whether there are major new features waiting to come out, and whether those features are going to be widely accepted.  If it's about contesting or QRO, I won't be too excited, but YMMV.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    I don't think so...  It sounds like you are licensed for version 3, so you get all of the free upgrades to V2 and V3 that you care to install, but I think you would need to pay for V4.
    Len, KD0RC
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I think there is a few more updates to V3 yet. Lots of things we just don't know yet. For instance.
    Would pure signal come out in V4? I don't know what Flex will call it. Is the DSP filters going to be worked on more in V3, then are those going to ported back to the last V2 update? As well as all the things on the survey, what release will they be in?

Lots we just don't know. but we will see.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    On the third hand, it would be simpler to pay, say, $100 a year for software maintenance.

There was a time I would have supported this model. Unfortunately, the way things are moving, you might go a year with no updates. We will soon start our eighth month with no updates. I remember the good old days when updates were scheduled in advance and major updates were released every three months. Ahhh, the good old days:)

Jon

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.